• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who needs food anyway?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who needs food anyway?

"Sainsbury's, Asda and McDonald's are among those warning stockpiling fresh food is impossible and that the UK is very reliant on the EU for produce.

The warning comes in a letter from the British Retail Consortium and is signed by several of the major food retailers.

The letter from the retailers, and seen by the BBC, says there will be "significant risks" to maintaining the choice, quality and shelf life of food.

"We are extremely concerned that our customers will be among the first to experience the realities of a no deal Brexit," the letter says."

Bah, scare mongering. What do they know anyway? Let's leave on WTO, that will teach the EU a lesson

No-deal Brexit 'to leave shelves empty' warn retailers - BBC News
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Pot Noodle - Wikipedia
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      "Sainsbury's, Asda and McDonald's are among those warning stockpiling fresh food is impossible and that the UK is very reliant on the EU for produce.

The warning comes in a letter from the British Retail Consortium and is signed by several of the major food retailers.

The letter from the retailers, and seen by the BBC, says there will be "significant risks" to maintaining the choice, quality and shelf life of food.

"We are extremely concerned that our customers will be among the first to experience the realities of a no deal Brexit," the letter says."

Bah, scare mongering. What do they know anyway? Let's leave on WTO, that will teach the EU a lesson

No-deal Brexit 'to leave shelves empty' warn retailers - BBC News
      oPM is introducing convoys from Gibraltar to frustrate the EUSSR blockade.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        oPM is introducing convoys from Gibraltar to frustrate the EUSSR blockade.
        If he brings in enough spuds, maybe he can team up with the spudmeister himself and shauny soldier can whip up some mash for the whole UK
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I don't understand the problem.

If the UK wants fresh produce then the UK will start producing it.

When all the finance/manufacturing/technology companies leave the UK and relocate in EU, there will be plenty arms and legs available for agricultural work.

Not a bad thing to be honest. Back to a much simpler time.

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
            Back to a much simpler time.
            Well let's hope so.......there may be hope of employment for Whorty's little posse of "imaginary friends".

Why he can't just get them on board scrumping for apples with him remains to be seen.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              If he brings in enough spuds, maybe he can team up with the spudmeister himself and shauny soldier can whip up some mash for the whole UK
              " brings in enough spuds"

weren't even rationed during WW2. So why should there be an issue now.

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                I don't understand the problem.

If the UK wants fresh produce then the UK will start producing it.

When all the finance/manufacturing/technology companies leave the UK and relocate in EU, there will be plenty arms and legs available for agricultural work.

Not a bad thing to be honest. Back to a much simpler time.
                "If the UK wants fresh produce then the UK will start producing it."

as we did before the EU

Beans on offer in Tesco recently came from Morocco, Egypt and Kenya. I'm sure they'll still want to send us their beans after the EU.
                Last edited by JohntheBike; 28 January 2019, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

as we did before the EU
                  <Whorty mode ON>

We won't be allowed to, the EU will forbid it!

<Whorty mode OFF>

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

" brings in enough spuds"

weren't even rationed during WW2. So why should there be an issue now.
                    No, not rationed until after WW2. Not that we should be comparing ourselves to wartime rationing anyway, it's all sunlit uplands.

as we did before the EU

Beans on offer in Tesco recently came from Morocco, Egypt and Kenya. I'm sure they'll still want to send us their beans after the EU.
                    Yes they will. They currently come in tariff-free under trade agreements with the EU (GSP/EBA). After 29th March we lose these trade agreements, so they will be subject to standard tariffs. We're reliant on the Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Liam Fox to recreate these agreements. Let us know how he's getting on.

Comment

Working...
                    X