• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry'

Experts have warned that a new EU-Japan trade deal could pose a post-Brexit threat to British industry in the wake of Nissan’s decision to backtrack on expanding its Sunderland plant.

The world’s biggest free trade deal came into force on 1 February and there are fears that Japan will stop using the UK as a manufacturing base, especially with a 0% tariff on car imports built into the EU-Japan agreement.

Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry' | Business | The Guardian

Totally predictable after Brexit, just wait till they amend it with financial services too

It's almost like I know what I'm talking about (responding to oPM here https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...derland-4.html)

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    What you've not grasped yet, is not just the fact the investment is moving from the UK, but also why it is gong to Japan and not the EU. Whilst we had access to the EU market Nissan were happy to manufacture here as we provided them access to the largest single market in the world. They don't need us anymore though as Japan now has a trade deal with the EU that allows them the access that we used to give them. They are likely to run down the UK plants over the coming years as we no longer have anything to offer - this was predicted before the 2016 ref and will devastate the economies impacted.

But, hey ho, we're taking back control and will have blue passports, so all will be good
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      It's almost like I know what I'm talking about
      If only.

Nissan and Renault are one and the same. Why don't they move production to France?

Oh that's right............because diesel sales in Europe are going backwards.

Nice try but wrong again.

2/10

You must try harder.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

And then you can have the discussion around population density and relevant skill sets and education levels

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          And then you can have the discussion around population density and relevant skill sets and education levels
          The density of Brexiteers was a factor in moving the investment from the UK.

Comment

Nissan said Brexit was a key factor. Brexiteers still have their fingers in their ears.

If they looked around they might also notice construction is going down the plug hole, retailers are sacking staff en masse and banks are moving jobs out of the City.

Nothing to do with Brexit of course.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Nissan said Brexit was a key factor. Brexiteers still have their fingers in their ears.

If they looked around they might also notice construction is going down the plug hole, retailers are sacking staff en masse and banks are moving jobs out of the City.

Nothing to do with Brexit of course.

It's because the UK is still in the failing EUSSR. Just wait for the Brexit boom.

Comment

It has more to do with the fall in Diesel sales by 30% in 2018 across Europe than it has to do with Brexit. Nissan was planning to only build the Diesel variant on the x-trail in Sunderland. With a collapse in Diesel sales it maybe makes sense not to have a diesel variant at all.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                  It has more to do with the fall in Diesel sales by 30% in 2018 across Europe than it has to do with Brexit. Nissan was planning to only build the Diesel variant on the x-trail in Sunderland. With a collapse in Diesel sales it maybe makes sense not to have a diesel variant at all.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                  Of course, sleep well
                  Japan - free trade agreement with EU no import duties
                  UK- feck knows what will happen

Comment

The great global diesel crash is the main reason Nissan won't make its X-Trail model in the UK | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Working...
                    X