• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit: 'Very real' chance of Irish unity poll if no deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The whole NI thing would have been less of a problem if they had a "one man one vote" system.

Trust me on that one.
    "Less of a problem" is relative. A drowning man doesn't stop drowning if you scoop a bucket of water out of the ocean.

If it's all the same to you, I won't be trusting you on anything.

Comment

I'm happy that I live in a country that affords provincial areas the right to vote on a minority aspiration of nationality.

I voted to remain in the UK, I voted to leave the EU.

In no other country in the world would I have had those votes respected.
      You didn't answer the question. Typical of brexiters you made up your own question to answer.

I'll ask again. Are you happy that Brexit could bring about the break up of the UK? Is this a price worth paying for you?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        "Less of a problem" is relative. A drowning man doesn't stop drowning if you scoop a bucket of water out of the ocean.

If it's all the same to you, I won't be trusting you on anything.
        I'm going to say what happened was a problem, less would have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          You didn't answer the question. Typical of brexiters you made up your own question to answer.

I'll ask again. Are you happy that Brexit could bring about the break up of the UK? Is this a price worth paying for you?
          I'm very happy Brexit will not lead to the break up of the UK.

Comment

You should all look at their economic involvement numbers before you decide...

Regional labour market statistics in the UK - Office for National Statistics

There is like a 5% core that just won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

How quickly an we get rid of these lumpenproletariat?

Comment

How many countries have determined their nation based on a referendum?
                No idea how many others have, but Chile overturned the Pinochet dicatatorship by referendum.
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

I'm very happy Brexit will not lead to the break up of the UK.
                  Still not answered the question. You've now changed it to "Will you be happy if the UK does not break up after Brexit?"

The actual question was, "Will you be happy if the UK breaks up due to Brexit?"

You see the difference?

I take your reluctance to answer the question to mean that you would have regrets if the UK splits due to your voting out. For you then it still seems that the cost of the UK splitting is a price worth paying to leave the EU.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

How many countries have determined their nation based on a referendum?
                    Go back to 1930's Germany and look at what a series of referendums caused, that explains why they're banned now in Germany.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Go back to 1930's Germany and look at what a series of referendums aimed at shoring up political power for a certain political party, rather than determining what the country wants, caused, that explains why they're banned now in Germany.
                      FTFY.

Not all referendums are bad (cf Switzerland, Ireland) but having an agenda behind them doesn’t always work out well.

Comment

Working...
                      X