• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit: 'Very real' chance of Irish unity poll if no deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    "and after being approved by the occupying powers"

As I said.

How many other countries have their constitution "approved" by "occupying powers" .
    The Scots

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Me too......and I'm British!!
      FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        There is no single unit of 'doing well'

There is GDP, unemployment, balance of trade, other indicators, the direction of travel for each of these.

On some of these the UK is doing better and on some Ireland is doing better. It's worth shaping your viewers around reality, rather than the other way round.
        Unemployment - UK is doing better because they add in zero hours contracts and people earning so low wages they still need to claim benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          "and after being approved by the occupying powers"

As I said.

How many other countries have their constitution "approved" by "occupying powers" .
          How many countries don't have a written constitution...

Unlike most modern states, Britain does not have a codified constitution but an unwritten one formed of Acts of Parliament, court judgments and conventions.
          This means that is basically uncodified or is one that exists in an abstract sense. It is something that is fluid and can change at any time A cardinal characteristic being that in law Parliament is sovereign in the sense of being the supreme legislative body. Since there is no documentary constitution containing laws that are fundamental in status and superior to ordinary Acts of Parliament, the courts may only interpret parliamentary statutes. They may not overrule or declare them invalid for being contrary to the constitution and ‘unconstitutional’. So, too, there are no entrenched procedures (such as a special power of the House of Lords, or the requirement of a referendum) by which the unwritten constitution may be amended.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X