• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    The Guardian’s article is a bit “Fake News” all right.

There’s a focus in it on food price increases in Northern Ireland, when everyone knows that there will be no tariffs collected on any food imported to NI from Ireland and the rest of the EU - the U.K. is not putting up a border....

Ironically, the Remain-voting border counties can just drive into the Republic and pick up their groceries tariff-free.
    I doubt food will be cheaper in RoI than in NI.

Comment

I don’t see why you’re correlating a reply to a different thread.

Basically, I'd asked to see your workings, but in another thread you said;
      Originally posted by meridian
      Well that’s my maths ****ed.
      So I then posted that quote and said don't bother (supplying your workings) and then you replied to that with;

Originally posted by meridian
      SNIP
      I’m probably wrong anyway, my maths is a bit tulip today.
      I agree.

HTH
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Other similar rates apply for other cheese types.

The effective rate (ie the tariff paid by the importer) is different for each cheese type, but is roughly between 20% and 50%.
        Block cheese has the lowest tariffs. It'll make Britain grate again.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

SNIP
          Now what about the people that are JAMs now, and can’t afford an increase?
          They will have to cutback, look for alternatives, etc...

What do they do when prices increase due to droughts in producing countries (as opposed to Brexit), for example?

What are you going to do to help them?
          Donate to the uplifting foodbanks of course

What did YOU do to help them, for all the times gone past, when food prices went up due to monsoons, droughts, poor yields, etc. ?
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            So much fake news. If your rea a proper patriotic news site, you'll see what nonsense this all is.

Free trade deal will not hike food prices - J D Wetherspoon
            not ftfy

What is incorrect in the following verbatim quote from the link you posted?;

Originally posted by Tim Martin
            Provided the government takes the sensible decision to opt for free trade, there would be no extra taxes/tariffs on EU imports. And by deciding not to impose taxes on the EU, there would be no taxes either on non-EU imports – WTO rules require all countries are treated in the same way, in the absence of a “deal”.

The result of the free trade option would be a reduction in prices in shops and pubs, since the EU today charges these invisible taxes on wine, rice, coffee, oranges and more than 12,000 other non-EU products.
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
              What did YOU do to help them, for all the times gone past, when food prices went up due to monsoons, droughts, poor yields, etc. ?
              I live directly across the road from a Calvary food bank. Not only do I donate food to them every week, but I also see the numbers of people referred there already.

Perhaps that’s why it’s a bit more personal for me, I see the direct effect on people now, so I’m worried about what the future will hold for them.

Comment

I live directly across the road from a Calvary food bank. Not only do I donate food to them every week, but I also see the numbers of people referred there already.

Perhaps that’s why it’s a bit more personal for me, I see the direct effect on people now, so I’m worried about what the future will hold for them.
                Oh good, so my prior suggestion was bang on the money then.

The main point, is that food prices fluctuate due to a number of factors.

People have to 'cope' regardless of the reason behind the price rises.

So to focus in on Brexit is strange, but not unexpected on this sub-forum.

I'm personally more worried about the homeless, ya know, the ones without a roof over their head but they also having those exact same price rise problems as the 'JAMs'... only with no income...
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I doubt food will be cheaper in RoI than in NI.
                  Hmmm, true. And even if it were, any currency devaluation in Sterling would make it more expensive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                    So to focus in on Brexit is strange, but not unexpected on this sub-forum.
                    Of course. That’s what this sub-forum is for, to blame everything on Brexit / blame everything on anything BUT Brexit *

*delete as appropriate

Comment

You could do with some weight loss AtW, Brexit will do you good in the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X