• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK industrial production

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Ah. No, that’s not how it works in most major warehouses and factories. Production staff are production staff, logistics staff are logistics staff. Skills are different, systems access is different.

Eg we’ve bought a new warehouse for stockpiling. Our project is extended to cover warehouse configuration and interfaces. Production increases slightly to cover the extra FGs required. Extra contract logistics staff are recruited to move the additional stock into the new warehouse.

Once we finish stockpiling, the extra logistics staff are retained to cover goods movements in and out of the new warehouse, until the warehouse is no longer required.
    You see these are the issues you have when you don't have a multi-skilled mobile workforce and you let the unions in with their demarcation.

Comment

None of this will matter anyway, as once the zero rate tariffs come in and we get unregulated imports via the Irish border we'll be flooded with all the cheap poor quality knockoffs we could wish for and we wont need to produce anything anyway.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Latest industrial production figures are out. Can anyone else see a pattern developing ?

I bet scooterscot can see a pattern.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
          You see these are the issues you have when you don't have a multi-skilled mobile workforce and you let the unions in with their demarcation.
          They’re not major issues. It’s easier to find additional logistics staff than it is to find experienced production staff.

There’s a number of reasons for it, I guess. Roles are contained so each individual is an expert in their area, rather than a generalist. Segregation of duties so there is only limited access to certain transactions and warehouse areas.

It does make it more difficult for testing, I need a person from each area to cover planning, procurement, logistics, manufacturing, instead of just one generalist....

Comment

That is exactly why the figures are as they are

We are stockpiling instead of producing

Once we've finished stockpiling everything will return to normal
            You're in the wrong thread ...... you want this one with comments like that https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...okes-here.html
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              You're in the wrong thread ...... you want this one with comments like that https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...okes-here.html
              O ye of little Brexit faith

Comment

I wonder if this is concerning the EU?

Most imports tariff-free under no-deal plan - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

A difference of 7% in value of imports? No, nothing for the EU to worry about.

What they are worrying about is the open Northern Ireland border.

What the U.K. is worrying about, is that 87% of our imports might be tariff-free, but 100% of our exports will be subject to tariffs (excluding the Faroe Islands and Switzerland, so far).

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Nope, cos imports from the EU are already Tariff Free. Business as usual.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

O ye of little Brexit faith
                      On the contrary. I have faith that a country like the UK should be able to leave the EU in an orderly, controlled fashion. What I have no faith in is our government being able to deliver that. When you pander to extremists you are always going to get trouble.

Brexit is a Tory problem, concocted by Tories to keep the Tory party together. It was never good for the UK, however there could have been some element of risk control and damage limitation. Now, however, the world sees us in a different light; we're incompetent and not to be trusted in negotiations. How do you think that is going to pan out when we try to set up all those future FTAs?

The worry is the WA is only stage 1 .... we haven't even got to the true negotiations yet.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X