• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Houses are too expensive for people to buy them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houses are too expensive for people to buy them

Due to Brexit.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Due to Brexit.
    There was an interesting report the other week (can't be @rsed to find it now) that basically said housing, both renting and buying, is more affordable now in real terms than in 2008. It also said most lending went to younger buyers, which is probably not a surprise but blows the myth that younger buyers can't afford to get a mortgage.

Brexit is definitely holding the market back. If only the MPs could sign off a deal we could all move on together, in a warm and cuddly friendly way
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Brexit is not holding the market back. Sold my Edinburgh place recently because:

1) it was yielding less (mostly through increased expenses). Remember why half of you have BTL's, cause pensions are crap. That's about to change.

2) Local council bureaucracy reaching new levels that make a German tax return look like a Ladybird book publication. In seriousness though it's destroying businesses.

3) Someone was willing to pay near £0.5m for a 2-bed flat. It is a bubble of epic proportions. The market is an epic bubble.

Sit back and watch the market go flat. I'll be waiting...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Brexit is not holding the market back. Sold my Edinburgh place recently because:
        Brexit is holding the market back, but that doesn't mean nothing is selling. Property priced correctly, or in very desirable areas, will still sell. We just don't have the panic buying of any old cr@p that we have when the market is going through the roof.

Market most likely to stabilise now for a few years. Can't see a big adjustment down (pity) but equally can't see big increases either. London has been pretty stagnant now for a couple of years with prices in some areas dropping. Where I'm based in the SW property prices are still moving forward, albeit at a slow pace.

Signing off May's deal will give people confidence again, and the house market is built on confidence.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

1) it was yielding less (mostly through increased expenses). Remember why half of you have BTL's, cause pensions are crap. That's about to change.
          Pensions are still crap. BTL is no longer an option though, I agree. I presume, like you, that all BTL'ers are either selling up or seriously thinking about it.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Regardless or what is happening with Brexit. For my area, I think the property market is unaffected. People are going about their business and nobody is too fussed.

Comment

Bitcoin is the way to go.

Comment

3) Someone was willing to pay near £0.5m for a 2-bed flat.
                Let me guess....New Town/Stockbridge?

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                  Let me guess....New Town/Stockbridge?
                  West End. In the last 12 months alone the flat went up almost 10%. Think I timed the exit to a tea. Time will tell.

https://espc.com/media/5606/mth-201902-table.pdf
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by yielding
                    Pensions are still crap. BTL is no longer an option though, I agree. I presume, like you, that all BTL'ers are either selling up or seriously thinking about it.
                    BTL assets are overvalued with yields shrinking. The political situation is the cherry on the cake.

Comment

Working...
                    X