• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bercow blocks the Government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Don't get me wrong, if she was somehow to get her deal approved next week then I find it hard to believe the EU wouldn't approve a further extension to 22 May, but my point was it wouldn't be automatic. We would have to request it, they would have to accept it and I believe due to the way yesterday's SI was worded, we'd need to pass another SI to change domestic legislation again.
    Any legislation also has to pass through the other house! More popcorn anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      Any legislation also has to pass through the other house! More popcorn anyone?
      True, although the passing of the SI to change "exit day" in UK legislation does not affect if and when we leave the EU as that is governed by EU and international law. Which is why the 100 or so MPs who voted against the SI (including my own) are idiots - all they would have achieved is to create a legal mess. The SI will undoubtedly fly through the Lords.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Don't get me wrong, if she was somehow to get her deal approved next week then I find it hard to believe the EU wouldn't approve a further extension to 22 May, but my point was it wouldn't be automatic. We would have to request it, they would have to accept it and I believe due to the way yesterday's SI was worded, we'd need to pass another SI to change domestic legislation again.
        Ah, okay - yes, agreed.

Depending on the time required it may be a “special” sort of extension, one where we technically leave by 22 May but with a special status for a fixed period so that the EU avoids any complications with EP elections. Who knows though. Popcorn!

Comment

Working...
        X