• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It’s the will of the people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    It’s not about closing (or not closing) the border.

It’s about having an external border between two separate entities (the EU and the U.K.) outside of a single market / customs union / SPS regulatory system, and being able to control movement and reporting of goods across that border in either direction. At least, that is the economic/regulatory issue.

The wider political issue is the visibility of any controls, to the extent that they breach the GFA.
    Argue about semantics if you want.

The point is the UK will never have any sort of border control. I am not so sure about Ireland - but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      The point is that the Irish border wil close in 95 days or so in case of no deal brexit and the troubles will start again
      Who is going to enforce a hard border? If the U.K. don’t do it, you think Ireland or the Eu would dare do it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Argue about semantics if you want.

The point is the UK will never have any sort of border control. I am not so sure about Ireland - but I doubt it.
        If the two countries are in different regimes then there has to be one.

Putting your head in the sand doesn’t make the issues go away.

Comment

If the two countries are in different regimes then there has to be one.

Putting your head in the sand doesn’t make the issues go away.
          At the moment NI and Ireland are different regimes!

Okay, I know you meant trading block. Or something like that.

I still don't think the UK will breach the GFA.

What I find amazing is WTFH lecturing on violence given he is a violent git who goes round shooting anything.....

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Who is going to enforce a hard border? If the U.K. don’t do it, you think Ireland or the Eu would dare do it?
            Do you think those are the only two countries with a say in whether or not two trading entities with a border should allow goods and services to travel freely over that border without inspection/control?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              One way or another Ireland will put controls on movement of goods, livestock etc. The UK is leaving the SM and CU and then refusing to ratify the agreement that it negotiated with the EU to deal with this departure.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                One way or another Ireland will put controls on movement of goods, livestock etc. The UK is leaving the SM and CU and then refusing to ratify the agreement that it negotiated with the EU to deal with this departure.
                Agreement? It as more like a surrender.....

Comment

It’s the will of the people

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Agreement? It as more like a surrender.....
                  How so?

There doesn’t appear to be any dispute over citizens rights. There isn’t any dispute over the financial items (although there is plenty of noise over “holding back the 39b”, there doesn’t appear to be any politician saying that the settlement has been calculated incorrectly). The backstop was requested to be widened to the whole of the U.K. by the U.K. And there is a transition period within the WA so that the U.K. can implement regulations to support being a third country without causing a crash.

So what, in your view, is being surrendered?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Tell me how Ireland will put up a hard border. That’s the issue, not that there won’t be controls or checks. A hard border will cause violence. I’m just asking who is going to put up a hard border.

Comment

Do you think those are the only two countries with a say in whether or not two trading entities with a border should allow goods and services to travel freely over that border without inspection/control?
                      That’s not my question. Who will put up a hard border in Ireland. The Eu? Ireland?

Comment

Working...
                      X