• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tomorrow's going to be interesting in Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If i was a betting man, which i'm not, i'd have a few quid on there being enough labour abstentions and/or labour MPs voting with govt. for Bojo to survive tonight's vote.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      If i was a betting man, which i'm not, i'd have a few quid on there being enough labour abstentions and/or labour MPs voting with govt. for Bojo to survive tonight's vote.
      Not a chance IMHO. A small, two-figure, majority I’d say. We’ll know momentarily...

Comment

Rebels win by 27. Statement incoming...

Comment

Boris aiming for an election on FTPA terms. Unlikely to get that. Then what?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Boris aiming for an election on FTPA terms. Unlikely to get that. Then what?
            Extenshun

...and then a GE
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Extenshun

...and then a GE
              Seems unlikely that he'd wait for the Oct 17 council. Too far, too damaging in the mean time. I assume something more dramatic, but I'm not sure what. Resign or bring a VONC in himself, perhaps. Not ideal, but there are other ways to trigger the terms without a 2/3rds majority. Main risk is that, while Corbyn wouldn't be supported within the 14-day statutory period, someone else might (21 Tory rebels will lose the whip tonight).

Hmmm...

Comment

Perhaps the Bill passing and receiving RA alone will be enough for Corbyn to support the FTPA motion though. That should happen late this week, although there are 92 amendments in the Lords, apparently (there is a mechanism to curtail though, albeit unusual).

Fascinating.

Comment

British politics is becoming even more of an absolute farce, first May said she wouldn't call an election and she did which nearly cost the Tories their seat in power without a bung to the DUP. Johnson not only does exactly the same thing but also now has a 100% record in losing parliamentary votes which looks like it will continue and now they won't remove the whip, as they said they would, but give the dissenters a second chance, hoping they'll back Johnson tomorrow (shades of May there when she reinstated disgraced Tory politicians to back her disastrous attempts at getting her deal through.) Even Italy which is quite possibly the worst country in the EU at political shenanigans is looking positively sensible compared to the UK
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Sounds as though Corbyn will indeed support a GE, once the Bill receives RA on ~Friday. If true, then we'd have a GE around 15 October (they can't even set the bloody date right ) before any extension request. The terms of the (soon to be) Act don't kick-in until the EU Council. So it sounds as though a change in the law is a sufficient guarantee for Corbyn... (could change by tomorrow, who knows )

Comment

Johnson could even accept the Bill. That would accelerate things.

Comment

Working...
                      X