• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supreme court prorogation hearing verdict.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Not me, I can assure you. I'm only questioning the point of Parliament rushing to recall itself, when it will achieve precisely nothing.
    How do you know what it will achieve?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      How do you know what it will achieve?
      Precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Not me, I can assure you. I'm only questioning the point of Parliament rushing to recall itself, when it will achieve precisely nothing.
        It's not recalling itself. The Supreme Court ruled that it was never prorogued in the first place. So Parliament never ceased to be in session, and they need to get back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          It's not recalling itself. The Supreme Court ruled that it was never prorogued in the first place. So Parliament never ceased to be in session, and they need to get back to work.
          Frustrating the will of the people.

Comment

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

For those who'd like to discuss the matter from a position of knowledge, rather than half-baked notions based on misunderstanding something someone said in a Sky News vox pop, the full ruling is here: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/do...2-judgment.pdf (PDF, 25 pages)

Comment

For those who'd like to discuss the matter from a position of knowledge, rather than half-baked notions based on misunderstanding something someone said in a Sky News vox pop, the full ruling is here: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/do...2-judgment.pdf (PDF, 25 pages)
                Quite a few posters here aspire to "Sky News vox pop"....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Precedent.
                  Precedent is not a good way of deciding that you know what the future holds. There was no precedent for the first time parliament took the sensible step of legislating with retrosoective effect against aggressive tax avoiders. But it still happened.

Comment

In Daily Wail terms - it was an illegal ciggy break.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

And for those with limited attention spans here is the summary judgement, only 4 pages.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/do...92-summary.pdf
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X