Keep music British! Keep music British!
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 103
  1. #1

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    19,605

    Default Keep music British!

    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

    Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

  2. #2

  3. #3

    King of updation

    TestMangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ardbeg, Isle Of Bute, Jock Land.
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    That's fine if you've got management/gophers in your staff who do everything for you. Daltrey probably never had to fill out a visa application in his life. If he thinks he toured Europe, pre eU, without a mountain of paperwork for all his entourage and gear, he's deluded.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

  4. #4

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    17,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMangler View Post
    That's fine if you've got management/gophers in your staff who do everything for you. Daltrey probably never had to fill out a visa application in his life. If he thinks he toured Europe, pre eU, without a mountain of paperwork for all his entourage and gear, he's deluded.
    Very true. I know a lot of bands in the UK who tour in the EU and some of those even toured pre-EU and tell horrific tales of the paperwork. One band are currently putting their farewell to EU tour for this year as it will be economically impossible for them to tour in the future
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  5. #5

    Godlike

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMangler View Post
    That's fine if you've got management/gophers in your staff who do everything for you. Daltrey probably never had to fill out a visa application in his life. If he thinks he toured Europe, pre eU, without a mountain of paperwork for all his entourage and gear, he's deluded.
    There's a mountain of paperwork regardless. TBH, there's a mountain of paperwork if they want to play Butlins in Bognor. I'm not seeing your actual point though?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  6. #6

    King of updation

    TestMangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ardbeg, Isle Of Bute, Jock Land.
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    There's a mountain of paperwork regardless. TBH, there's a mountain of paperwork if they want to play Butlins in Bognor. I'm not seeing your actual point though?
    My actual point, Mr Daltrey, is that not all touring musicians are the Who.

    There are legions of small touring artists, both UK based (touring EU) and EU based, taking in the UK, who will have financial and non-financial barriers put in the way of their work. One good example would be Chris Difford, ex Squeeze, who plays small gigs in small club type venues, 80+ seaters or so. The margins are tight and putting additional costs and difficulties in the way is actually a bad thing.

    As for there being a mountain of paperwork for playing Butlins in Bognor, thats just bollocks. Have played Butlins gigs before (Not Bognor sadly) and still do some for Parkdean and there is no paperwork involved except maybe emailing a copy of your PL insurance.


    But, i'm sure you couldn't give a ****, cause it wont effect you.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

  7. #7

    Godlike

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMangler View Post
    My actual point, Mr Daltrey, is that not all touring musicians are the Who.

    There are legions of small touring artists, both UK based (touring EU) and EU based, taking in the UK, who will have financial and non-financial barriers put in the way of their work. One good example would be Chris Difford, ex Squeeze, who plays small gigs in small club type venues, 80+ seaters or so. The margins are tight and putting additional costs and difficulties in the way is actually a bad thing.

    As for there being a mountain of paperwork for playing Butlins in Bognor, thats just bollocks. Have played Butlins gigs before (Not Bognor sadly) and still do some for Parkdean and there is no paperwork involved except maybe emailing a copy of your PL insurance.


    But, i'm sure you couldn't give a ****, cause it wont effect you.
    Makes you wonder how the 1960's ever happened. As in, when the Beatles managed to go to Hamburg before most people had ever heard of them. The biggest problem they had was George was underage, but they all got by somehow. And guess what? The UK wasn't even allowed to be considered for membership of that which became the EU, principally because of a bigoted and ungrateful Frenchman. And I hope that particular hypocrite is spinning in his particular grave...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    10,137

    Default

    the thread's about non-UK artists playing Here, not the other way round.

    geez

    what a bunch of one trick ponys.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  9. #9

    King of updation

    TestMangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ardbeg, Isle Of Bute, Jock Land.
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    Makes you wonder how the 1960's ever happened. As in, when the Beatles managed to go to Hamburg before most people had ever heard of them. The biggest problem they had was George was underage, but they all got by somehow..
    The Beatles, for example, already had the backing of Allan Williams who organised and financed their first residency in Hamburg, so it's not the same thing. They most certainly didn't do it themselves as people do now. I suppose, like most brexiteers, you think if we go back the just after the end of WW2, Britian will be great again and you want to drag everyone else with you. The 50s and the 60's are in the past and that's where they belong.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

  10. #10

    King of updation

    TestMangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ardbeg, Isle Of Bute, Jock Land.
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    the thread's about non-UK artists playing Here, not the other way round.

    geez

    what a bunch of one trick ponys.
    Same rules will apply. I know quite a few promoters of these kind of gigs, who bring people here and send their acts on tours of small venues. Apparently carnets for gear (in this country) will cost £329 + VAT, for incoming acts. I would assume it'll be similar for UK acts going to Europe with work permits and visas on top.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •