• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The level of due diligence from some recruiters is shocking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The level of due diligence from some recruiters is shocking

Maybe not exactly breaking news in the title of this post but I have been a bit shocked at how little due diligence some agents and recruiters do, even for very highly paid roles. Recently a friend and I have been dealing with several agents for a mix of contract and perm roles. These contract roles were £750-1200/day and perm salaries between £100-125k. The lack of ability of some of these agents to answer even the most basic questions about a role is shocking. As an example, I asked an agent twice if a particular role for a well known global FMCG company was a global role rather than a UK focused role. He told me it definitely was a UK role. At the interview I found out it was a global role - a huge difference in scope and responsibility.

Another time, the recruiter didn't really seem to understand the scope of the role themselves. The job description was very lengthy but so broad including so many different skillsets that it would be difficult for one person to do. When I asked if they could clarify a bit more on what skills were the focus of the role, the answer was 'I don't have a clue.' That was for a perm job and my rough estimate was the end client would probably be paying around £30-40k for their 'service' to place someone!

Another time a recruiter got the location of a role completely wrong (I happened to know the location because it's not too far from where I live.)

I can understand that agents are sales driven, it's a numbers game about getting bums on seats and so on, at least for very common skill sets or lower paying gigs, especially if their margin is quite low.

But I would have expected a little better for such highly paid roles - 5/10% or whatever the margin at the best part of a grand a day is a nice little earner indeed for a contract role!

I don't really see how the rate of the role can be linked to the skill of the agent. He sells roles, any rate to any contractor. That's about it. It's not like the difference between selling Aygos and Porches where the sales person has to understand his customer and their differing needs/lifestyle.

Why does he need to do any extra diligence? He does a word search, bit of digging and submits to client. What else can he add? I would be nice if agents could do their job well and accurately at any level TBH.

Don't forget increased rates does not mean the person is any different. The contractor might be a coder like anyone else but just happens to have niche skills or something. It doesn't equate that bigger rate means the contractor is a different type of person.

It also doesn't equate that the agent will make a lot more cash off a high rate gig. It might if he can pull it off but if he is on fixed margin it won't be a huge amount of money.

Am talking fairly generally here and I am sure there are plenty of exceptions but as a general pop at agents I think you are expecting a bit much here.

Now if it was a professional headhunting outfit or something I would say you are absolutely spot on.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 July 2014, 15:33.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unfortunately, clients only ever get to speak to the account manager who is generally too important to speak to oik applicants. Only when you get past the ignoramus CV sifters do you get to speak to someone who might just have a proper, accurate role specification. Even then it's rare.

You would think that if clients knew what they were getting for the fee/commission they would kick up but they really could not care less. They forego VFM for another layer below them that entitles them to be called manager.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post

You would think that if clients knew what they were getting for the fee/commission they would kick up but they really could not care less.
        So clients' I've had do their own recruiting. They do not use agencies in any shape or form because they know what they are like......
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not that i'm defending the pimps, but every so often the problem is that even the client doesn't have a good job description, as they are usually drafted by a manager/HR who more often than not doesn't have a clue what the role is actually supposed to be, so they either use a template or a barrage of contradicting requirements.

Comment

Working...
          X