• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 week notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Two days before I emailed him a corrected signed contract with 7 days notice.

2 weeks into extension I still aint heard a peep from him.

Im betting hes thinking if I try the 7 days notice he'll still try to blag it out and say I cant.
    Of course he will. That's the way these idiots do business...
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

On a similar vein, remember my recent contact grief?
      Agent says heres extension, 2 months, same notice as before (1 month). I say lets talk about this notice - I want a week. He hides for weeks and hopes I'll just start extension.
      Two days before I emailed him a corrected signed contract with 7 days notice.

2 weeks into extension I still aint heard a peep from him.

Im betting hes thinking if I try the 7 days notice he'll still try to blag it out and say I cant.
      Whats the betting the pimp will say 'what amended contract?' if you try and reference it, and will hold you to the original deemed one, did you send it by registered post?

Comment

And what have you done in the two weeks to try and resolve this ridiculous situation.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

still unable to contact
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

still unable to contact
            Utter bollocks. You are not trying hard enough.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              And what have you done in the two weeks to try and resolve this ridiculous situation.
              The situation is resolved - he sent a valid contract to the agency and gave them time and the opportunity to raise any objections to the changes. From here, there is nothing left to resolve. I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time trying to talk to an agent when I already had a valid contract which was what I wanted in the first place.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                The situation is resolved - he sent a valid contract to the agency and gave them time and the opportunity to raise any objections to the changes. From here, there is nothing left to resolve. I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time trying to talk to an agent when I already had a valid contract which was what I wanted in the first place.
                Honestly, you think this that is a reasonable resolution? The idea of a valid and signed contract is for all parties to agree the situation and protect each other. Just bunging a contract to an agent 2 days before you start might be paying lip service to the rules but that's no good to you when you need to fall back on the clauses.

Sending it to the agent does not guarantee he saw it on time. What if he was on hols or has been off long term sick when might explain some of the silence. If this is the case the other party did not see the contract therefor it won't stand. Two days before would also be pushing the acceptable time as well. If he starts trying to get to the bottom now at least expectations are set. The agent possibly didn't see it but by actioning it he has a reminder it's coming. It will go someway to proving to the client he tried and the agent is wholly at fault. Just bunging it in 2 days before and then handing your notice in expecting to leave in 7 days is going to make you look like a right twunt in front of the client. So far there is nothing to prove to the client but he says/she says with you both being devious to some extent. No harm in following it up.

Either way, sitting there without your head in your sand isn't an acceptable situation IMO. Agent should be getting a bollocking at the very least and OP should be clearing it up, not waiting for the tulip storm that will ensue when he attempts to give his notice.

Comment

Notice periods are meaningless for me, I have never started a contract that I have not finished, if I want to leave then I will complete the contract and refuse the extension (as I did at a previous place I was at). Just saying...

Comment

Honestly, you think this that is a reasonable resolution?
                    Yes

Sending it to the agent does not guarantee he saw it on time. What if he was on hols or has been off long term sick when might explain some of the silence. If this is the case the other party did not see the contract therefor it won't stand.
                    Any legal basis for your assertion? I'd think that particularly in recent times, the Postal Rule has been updated to cover the scenario of communication via email.

Two days before would also be pushing the acceptable time as well.
                    The expectation was set some time prior, and the situation arose because of the actions of the agent. The contractor tried to communicate with the agent but the agent chose to ignore the situation. Due to the unreasonable actions of the agent, I think that any judge wouldn't find in their favour where there is any dispute over the contract term.

If he starts trying to get to the bottom now at least expectations are set. The agent possibly didn't see it but by actioning it he has a reminder it's coming. It will go someway to proving to the client he tried and the agent is wholly at fault. Just bunging it in 2 days before and then handing your notice in expecting to leave in 7 days is going to make you look like a right twunt in front of the client. So far there is nothing to prove to the client but he says/she says with you both being devious to some extent. No harm in following it up.
                    The perception of the client and the legal reality of the situation that the actions (or inaction) of the agency caused are two different matters.

Either way, sitting there without your head in your sand isn't an acceptable situation IMO. Agent should be getting a bollocking at the very least and OP should be clearing it up, not waiting for the tulip storm that will ensue when he attempts to give his notice.
                    Well, that's one way to look at it. The only person with their head in the sand is the agent, though - they were the ones that hid, they were the ones who acted unreasonably, they were the ones that are still hiding, they are the ones that did not reject the contract when they had the opportunity, they are the ones who have accepted the situation. If it ever came to court, they wouldn't have a hope in hell of winning. So why bother chasing someone who doesn't want to get caught, but will be in the losing position if the matter ever arose?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I have given notice.

I think its professional, if you are sitting in a room for weeks on end with little or no actual work to do, or if you are not getting on with the client and they are clearly unhappy with you.

So no notice given, but notice received? Not judging you, just saying that it can be argued both ways.
                      Can't argue with that. I guess what I am saying is that I wouldn't give notice if something better came along, if I've committed to something then I will stick it out (with the caveat that there is work to do and all parties are happy), the scenario you describe is not something I have encountered so far but agree with your steps to resolve that situation!

Comment

Working...
                      X