• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caveated Boomed - form of words?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Its technically an agency, but with a relationship that makes it effectively part of ClientCo's business, like an outsourced IT Dept. My contact (its a 'she' BTW) will have received feedback from people on the ground requesting my renewal.

It will go like this: she'll come back with 'Sorry, no more on the table: X is our best offer', I'll counter with 'OK, I was hoping for X+A so I'm outta here', she'll come back with "shut the door on your way out"....

All a bit ritualistic, but that's how the game goes.
    I think the above is more realistic...
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Its technically an agency, but with a relationship that makes it effectively part of ClientCo's business, like an outsourced IT Dept. My contact (its a 'she' BTW) will have received feedback from people on the ground requesting my renewal.

It will go like this: she'll come back with 'Sorry, no more on the table: X is our best offer', I'll counter with 'OK, I was hoping for X+A so I'm outta here', she'll come back with 'OK we can stretch to (X+B) where B<A' and I'll accept or she'll say 'X' - and I'll accept.

All a bit ritualistic, but that's how the game goes.
      And?

If you have a better paying contract (or two) to go to then why worry?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        And?

If you have a better paying contract (or two) to go to then why worry?
        I am not in the slightest bit worried, I like it here and will stay at the current rate; me staying is in both our best interests; I was just hoping with some help from more seasoned negotiators than I about the best tactics for securing an uplift, which who knows may even be in the clients' best interest. 'Play hardball' seems to be about it.

I'm just not cynical enough for this game.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I'm just not cynical enough for this game.
          Deal with more agencies and you will be cynical.....

Or for a bit of practise talk to some estate agents.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It will go like this: she'll come back with 'Sorry, no more on the table: X is our best offer', I'll counter with 'OK, I was hoping for X+A so I'm outta here', she'll come back with 'OK we can stretch to (X+B) where B<A' and I'll accept or she'll say 'X' - and I'll accept. .
            That's not ritualistic, that's a joke. If she gives you more in that situation then you have been had over a barrel in the past and if she doesn't believe you will walk then you won't get anything more. It's not ritualistic, it's a negotiation. You might buy carpets in Turkey like that but you don't play hardball to force a client to up your rate like that.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cant you link to some graphs that will conclusively demonstrate that you're worth more?
              Last edited by v8gaz; 29 July 2014, 17:51.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

I always try to be as polite as possible, hardball tactics rarely work especially when, as NLUK says, there is not really any lead in your pencil.

Something along the lines of "I took this contract because I was interested in working with you despite the rate which, realistically, was fairly low. I would be very interested in a renewal, espcially now I have good experience of <whatever_the_****_you_do>, but it would have to be at a more realistic day rate"

I would have this discussion with the client but not discuss actual figures. Get an agrement in principle and then discuss numbers with the intermediary.

Comment

what form of words would you use in requesting an uplift in the day-rate to maximise the chances of getting one
                  I would love to take the extension and I really enjoy working with you guys but I've had a better offer and I will be taking that.

If they call your bluff then you have to try and back pedal and hope it doesn't screw your chances of an extension.

Also, I try not to accept contracts on discounted rates with the promise of a review at renewal time because it just doesn't happen these days...

Find out what markup the agent is taking and see if there is room to move on that too
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

How about:

"You committed to reviewing my rate after x months. Before we discuss the detail of the extension, please can you confirm what the offer is?"

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I assume you were direct? This wouldn't work with an agent. He doesn't have a clue or give a toss.
                      The sequence of events were:

1. I was overloaded with work. Asked agent for more money.
                      2. Agent said "Give me justification.
                      3. I wrote said justification.
                      4. This was passed to client who okayed it.

This was a role 4 miles from home (believe me, that doesn't happen too often where I live) so it was a very pleasant surprise to get the rate rise.

But yeah, agent may not have given a toss but they did the needful. God bless you, Square One. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X