• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minimum contract length to put on CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum contract length to put on CV?

As a contractor, you get varying length contracts. I've started a 4 week contract last week - should I put this on my CV?
    If i don't, it leaves a month long gap in the CV?

what about those little 2 week contracts?

What to do??

I put all mine on. I have quite a few that are for less than a week and sometimes I've had contracts running at two clients at once.

Comment

Why wouldn't you as like you said it shows a gap otherwise when you were in fact in work and given how agencies can get funny about time your not working for some odd reason.

I put all my contracts on whether they are short or otherwise. Older contracts I drop off the end of my CV as years go by.

Comment

Put every Contract on your C.V but don't go over 2 pages.
        You'd be surprised how may "oh do you know so and so" when they look at my past employment.

Comment

I asked this question a while ago. The main information I took from the feedback was yes to put it in. Personally I want to show that I added something during that time, so the length isn't that important but you include it as part of your sales pitch because you were able to add something. There's always something positive you can take from a role but how relevant that is to the role you're going for is a different question.

Comment

The guys recruiting where I am seem to view lots of short contracts (few months here and there) as a bad sign. But they don't really know the difference between a contractor & a permie - hence me having done about about 4 weeks worth of work in the last year

Comment

I did a 1 week contract a couple of years back, time flies hey NAT, went on the CV cos it was for a large pharma in Switzerland. Out of my normal London IB work.

Showing flexibility on client and location.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I've never ever understood why you shouldn't have gaps in your cv or spells of short term contracts.
                One of the benefits of contracting is that it puts you in a privileged position to pick and choose when & where you work. I put all my gigs on my cv but don't worry a jot about taking 8 weeks work here, 4 weeks work there or even taking a 6 month break anytime I want. I've never had problems from pimps (or compainies) with this at all - it's why I went contracting.

Comment

the 4 weeks is less relevant than;
                  the skills you deployed,
                  skills you picked up,
                  technology you were exposed to,
                  and overall project you helped succeed.

remember, us(I mean they) agents, word-search the skills anyway, don't we(I mean they)?

Comment

I think there is balance.

There was a contractor who joined a team I was in a few years back, who arrived Monday and was fired Thursday, the only reason he got in on Thursday was because they couldn't contact his agent on Wednesday evening.

If I look at his LinkedIn profile it is many years of 1,2,3,4 month contracts, I think there was one 11 month contract. Knowing the area I work in, if you have the talent and the personality to fit in they will keep you on for a number of different projects.

If I saw your entire career was 1-4 month contracts I would be quite dubious about why no-one kept you on for other work.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X