Request for help from documentary filmmaker: self-employment Request for help from documentary filmmaker: self-employment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 22

Nervous Newbie

Default Request for help from documentary filmmaker: self-employment

I’m a journalist working on a TV documentary about the changing world of work in the UK. I’m hoping to speak to people who have become self-employed in recent years to ask them about what their experiences have been. I’m particularly interested in talking to people who feel that they had little option but to become self-employed, people who were recently unemployed, and people concerned about their pay and conditions as a self-employed worker.

I’m also interested in talking to people involved in agency work and other irregular work to find out about your pay and conditions.

I'd hope initially to have a confidential conservation with you over the phone, with a view to finding someone that we can film with as part of the programme. There is no obligation for you to take part in the programme once you’ve spoken with us, but it would be an opportunity to aid our research and for us to tell you a bit more about the film.

If you’d like to talk to me, in confidence, you can contact me on hannah@firecrestfilms.com and on 07845 348 157.

Fingers like lightning

I think you're asking the wrong people here love.

Contractor Among Contractors

Dont like the slant on that - go to Mumsnet.

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    Happy with the slant on it (I believe there are a lot of people in that position) but I don't think there are many people here that meet that criteria and who will be able to help you.

As an aside this is one reason why I disliked the IPSE rebranding. They argue that they will represent all self employed professionals, I believe there are many who don't want to be self employed and they would be better support and represented by a union such as the GMB instead...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Faqqed Off

Quote Originally Posted by HannahL View Post
    I’m a journalist working on a TV documentary about the changing world of work in the UK. I’m hoping to speak to people who have become self-employed in recent years to ask them about what their experiences have been. I’m particularly interested in talking to people who feel that they had little option but to become self-employed, people who were recently unemployed, and people concerned about their pay and conditions as a self-employed worker.

I’m also interested in talking to people involved in agency work and other irregular work to find out about your pay and conditions.

I'd hope initially to have a confidential conservation with you over the phone, with a view to finding someone that we can film with as part of the programme. There is no obligation for you to take part in the programme once you’ve spoken with us, but it would be an opportunity to aid our research and for us to tell you a bit more about the film.

If you’d like to talk to me, in confidence, you can contact me on hannah@firecrestfilms.com and on 07845 348 157.
    The vast, vast majority of people here aren't self-employed - they operate either via an umbrella company as a PAYE employee, or they run their own limited company. There will be some people here who are self-employed, but I wouldn't put that number at more than a handful.

As far as those who operate via agencies, the CUK audience tend not to look for "irregular work" or worry about their pay and conditions (apart from a few I can think of). The agencies used by contractors here are usually an intermediary used by the client to find a highly skilled resource that the client does not have (or want) in-house.

You might be better off asking the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed (Home | IPSE) for pointers - they represent the 4.5 million self-employed workers in the UK, so should be able to help you out.

Good luck - let us know when it's on TV
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Faqqed Off

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    Right slant - there are many self-employed workers who have been forced down that path.

Wrong audience here, though, as it doesn't apply to the CUK collective.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Right slant - there are many self-employed workers who have been forced down that path.

Wrong audience here, though, as it doesn't apply to the CUK collective.
    Is that a breakaway faction of the PCG?

Dirty kapitalist spekulant

The vast, vast majority of people here aren't self-employed - they operate either via an umbrella company as a PAYE employee, or they run their own limited company. There will be some people here who are self-employed, but I wouldn't put that number at more than a handful.

As far as those who operate via agencies, the CUK audience tend not to look for "irregular work" or worry about their pay and conditions (apart from a few I can think of). The agencies used by contractors here are usually an intermediary used by the client to find a highly skilled resource that the client does not have (or want) in-house.

You might be better off asking the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed (Home | IPSE) for pointers - they represent the 4.5 million self-employed workers in the UK, so should be able to help you out.

Good luck - let us know when it's on TV
    ǝןqqıʍ

bored now

You might be better off asking the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed (Home | IPSE) for pointers - they claim to represent the 4.5 million self-employed workers in the UK, so should be able to help you out.
    ftfy. You can't represent 4.5m people just by claiming that you represent them. (and given what I heard last night I really don't think they are doing a good job).. However they may have successfully tricked a few suitable people for this programme into joining..
    Last edited by eek; 15th October 2014 at 14:21.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment