• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overtime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overtime

Hi,

I might be getting a role at an IB, I know the team have had to work weekends and are likely to have to do so again. What's the norm for working weekends, I'd expect day rate and a half.

The agent has already squeezed my rate and I don't want to have this squeezed as well.

Thanks

EVC

If you expect time and a half for weekend working, then that's what you charge - why does it matter what anyone else gets paid?

Just make sure it's in the contract or you'll get a nasty surprise when you don't get it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Never managed to get anything like time and a half (horrible permie term). Managed to agree a small change in rate but nothing spectacular. Same for longish periods out of the country.

Thing is though I'll take any overtime going.its extra cash so am not that bothered about having to be massively compensated for losing weekends. That said I've never been on a position where it is expected, demanded or for long periods so maybe I've been a bit lucky.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        If you expect time and a half for weekend working, then that's what you charge - why does it matter what anyone else gets paid?

Just make sure it's in the contract or you'll get a nasty surprise when you don't get it.
        WHS

Comment

I get 150% for overtime MON-SAT, and 200% on Sundays.
          The requirement is that this is signed off by the customer in a time sheet that mentions these percentages.

I don't think this is something that you will be able to manipulate yourself too much. Big companies will often have 1 and the same rule for all contractors.

Comment

QDOS advised me that having a different rate for overtime was a pointer to IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              QDOS advised me that having a different rate for overtime was a pointer to IR35.
              It depends if you call it "overtime".

Overtime is what permies have.

We charge extra for working on weekends.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                It depends if you call it "overtime".

Overtime is what permies have.

We charge extra for working on weekends.
                Don't go down the 'overtime' route. Agree equivalent time off in the week for when working weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                  I've heard this, however isn't a way of getting around this to simply negotiate different rates with the client from what permies get? Personally, with my current client I get the same day rate (or half if half a day) for any over-production, whereas permies would get 1.5x or 2x per hour worked overtime. It doesn't bother me hugely, since I choose whether to take it up or not.
                  Last edited by Zero Liability; 8 November 2014, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Don't go down the 'overtime' route. Agree equivalent time off in the week for when working weekends.
                    If you agree to provide your services Monday to Friday for rate x.

If the client decides they may want you to provide services in addition on Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays if your company, by it's custom and practice, decides they aren't standard working days you can negotiate a premium of rate y to provide services at those times.

It's not an indication for IR35 if it's not called "overtime" and the entire contract is written in the right way.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X