• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holidays and IT Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holidays and IT Contracting

I regularly see cheap flights to different parts of the world, e.g. Thailand for £499 incl. all-inclusive hotel for a week, New York incl. hotel for £499.

How do you guys do this contracting wise? Imagine your contract will end 31-01-2015.

Would you completely avoid booking a holiday for March 2015, because it would probably be inconvenient to your future employer? I ask this because I genuinely enjoy travelling, friends ask me to book something with them, but I'm a little scared that having 1 or 2 entire weeks booked already, might upset a future employer.

The £499 deal costs £6k in lost income for 2 week holiday.

You are your own employer - take time off when you want

I personally would not take time off that clashed with main project events, go live etc

Comment

I usually aim to book holidays at the end of every contract. If it turns out that contract is getting extended (usually found out in the last couple of weeks) there is never an issue when I say "yes, happy to extend but I'll be away for a week (or 2)"

Comment

Why is a contractor buggering about with cheap holidays?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Why is a contractor buggering about with cheap holidays?
          You don't get rich by spending it. I find it best to not be tight but still ensure value for your pound where you can.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by ujjain View Post

Would you completely avoid booking a holiday for March 2015, because it would probably be inconvenient to your future employer? I ask this because I genuinely enjoy travelling, friends ask me to book something with them, but I'm a little scared that having 1 or 2 entire weeks booked already, might upset a future employer.
            Employer? I don't tend to change companies for every contract I use the same limited.

In regards to taking holidays if you see something you fancy then book it.

You can risk losing the money spent on the holiday if it coincides with an important project date, otherwise most clients are amenable for you to take the time off as long as you give them sufficient notice.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Actually I think I should take a 3 week holiday in January and have a completed full year at a highly regarded tech company in London, resign end of January and just not plan any holidays after that, so I have no prior commitments when starting contracting.

I think indeed I should change my mindset on holidays and that paying 200 pound extra per flight wouldn't be the worst, because as a contractor that's hardly as much money as for permies.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                The £499 deal costs £6k in lost income for 2 week holiday.

You are your own employer - take time off when you want

I personally would not take time off that clashed with main project events, go live etc
                That's a dangerous outlook. I used to think about time off in those terms too. Result: I never went on holiday and damn near burned out. Better to think that you work, say, 200-220 days in a year, so your holiday does not cost the amount you lose in not billing.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                  That's a dangerous outlook. I used to think about time off in those terms too. Result: I never went on holiday and damn near burned out. Better to think that you work, say, 200-220 days in a year, so your holiday does not cost the amount you lose in not billing.
                  There are older people who decided to take early retirement after working very hard so they could travel the world and/or engage in their hobbies. Unfortunately just before or when they took retirement they either died prematurely or were too sick to follow their dreams.

In other words if you want a holiday and you can afford it take it. You can't take holidays when you are dead....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I take long weekends instead

Comment

Working...
                    X