• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receipt Scanner Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Tell that to users of Google Reader, Wave, Buzz or any of the other services that Google has peremptorily shuttered in the last few years.
    As for Google/Dropbox etc, they are just somebody else's computer and should be treated as such. Just my opinion.
    None of them was killed without ample notice, so your fear of loosing company data is groundless.

Comment

Tell that to users of Google Reader, Wave, Buzz or any of the other services that Google has peremptorily shuttered in the last few years.
      As for Google/Dropbox etc, they are just somebody else's computer and should be treated as such. Just my opinion.
      Reader, Wave and Buzz did nothing to move people into the Google Cloud. One of the main reasons that Google kept saying that they didn't need to have an SD card on the Nexus products was because the content should be cloud-based - scrapping Drive won't help that vision at all.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Reader, Wave and Buzz did nothing to move people into the Google Cloud. One of the main reasons that Google kept saying that they didn't need to have an SD card on the Nexus products was because the content should be cloud-based - scrapping Drive won't help that vision at all.
        Yeah but who wants to second-guess some foreign corporation? It's your data, take responsibility for it. Just my opinion as a grumpy old systems administrator .

Comment

I use office lens on my windows phone to take a picture of the receipt. It also tidies the image up and then auto uploads it to OneNote and my expenses workbook.

Handy when travelling about. I'm guessing its only available on windows phones but who knows with Microsoft going all cross-platform.

Comment

I wouldn't go Google, personally. If they withdraw the service, pop goes your company records.
            I thought that too. But with the Google Drive app installed on your computer (or something like Insync Pro - highly recommended), if their service does go bye-byes, you have a synced copy on your computer.

Best thing about GD is having the off-site backup (it's in the cloud). I can also share folders with the missus and store all our family photos, all synced again to our laptops.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              I thought that too. But with the Google Drive app installed on your computer (or something like Insync Pro - highly recommended), if their service does go bye-byes, you have a synced copy on your computer.

Best thing about GD is having the off-site backup (it's in the cloud). I can also share folders with the missus and store all our family photos, all synced again to our laptops.
              The general public might see it as a free lunch, but we know that the "the Cloud" is really just a stranger's computer, and should be treated as such. (Unless you are paying for the service under SLA - that would be a different story).

Cf. the journalist who stored precious work in a free Facebook "cloud". FB pulled it for [whatever] reasons. She had no comeback and no other backups, and suffered major career damage. Nothing surprising there, except her naive belief that a secure, guaranteed service was being provided for free.

Anyway I am not here to lecture my fellow techies. Whatever works. Personally I use cheap storage to make my own encrypted, offsite backups. For me it is easier than Dropbox faffing anyway. And Owncloud for sharing.

Comment

The general public might see it as a free lunch, but we know that the "the Cloud" is really just a stranger's computer, and should be treated as such. (Unless you are paying for the service under SLA - that would be a different story).

Cf. the journalist who stored precious work in a free Facebook "cloud". FB pulled it for [whatever] reasons. She had no comeback and no other backups, and suffered major career damage. Nothing surprising there, except her naive belief that a secure, guaranteed service was being provided for free.

Anyway I am not here to lecture my fellow techies. Whatever works. Personally I use cheap storage to make my own encrypted, offsite backups. For me it is easier than Dropbox faffing anyway. And Owncloud for sharing.
                I tried ownCloud once. I immediately stopped using it when I set it up on a 2nd PC and it started deleting all of my files. Luckily i'd made a backup before evaluating it.

I wouldn't use GD if it wasn't for the syncing software that lets me sync a local copy to my laptop.

Whatever works for you

EDIT: I prefer something that "just works". I got fed up of messing around setting up servers for doing a simple task of storing files and allowing other users access to them. Life's too short....
                Last edited by kingcook; 19 December 2014, 00:14.
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                X