• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6 month Clause in my Agency Contract restricting me going direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the lengths an agency may go to protect their revenue stream. If this role you are going to is visible to the old agent then they will be discussing it with the client. There is always the chance they'll spot on linkedin, see you on site, word of mouth with client or other contractors etc. I don't think you trying to disappear on a big site is a good way to avoid being sued by an agency, particularly if the handcuff is a slam dunk. Better to get it all out in the open and negotiate the situation. They could waive the handcuff to keep sweet with the client or the client will strong arm them in to dropping it etc.
    Thank you very much for the advice. I am 18 months into my first big contract and I've managed to negotiate the rate I wanted with the agency and client and will be doing another 6 months here so a success story. The handcuff rule will still be there when i leave at Christmas but I will have more equity time and experience in contracting ways.

Comment

6 month Clause in my Agency Contract

I have a similar problem but with a Twist

The Agency that I was contracting through Closed down, why I have no Idea, but as my last 6 months was finalized ending 30th June they ceased trading!!! Now I am coming to the end of my contract and the company wish to keep me for Longer, I had a clause in my last contract restricting me from going direct, but since they no longer exist as a trading entity can the former directors of the company still hold that restriction ?

Comment

Originally posted by Talos View Post

The Agency that I was contracting through Closed down, why I have no Idea, but as my last 6 months was finalized ending 30th June they ceased trading!!! Now I am coming to the end of my contract and the company wish to keep me for Longer, I had a clause in my last contract restricting me from going direct, but since they no longer exist as a trading entity can the former directors of the company still hold that restriction ?
        Nope.

The party that put in that restriction no longer exists - so go direct or use another agency.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Talos View Post

Who's going to argue it if they don't exist????
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Nope.

The party that put in that restriction no longer exists - so go direct or use another agency.
            Thanks, I just wanted to check

Comment

Does anyone have experience of getting out of this clause if ClientCo no longer has the agency on their PSL ?

Cheers
              We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Nope.

be wary of this though. What if another company has taken over the business, either partially or wholly? The contract may now be with a new agency and the clause still enforceable.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  be wary of this though. What if another company has taken over the business, either partially or wholly? The contract may now be with a new agency and the clause still enforceable.
                  On a tangent, what would happen if original agency was in say liquidation?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    True but the agency needs to tell both the contractor and client they have taken over the existing business.

If neither of the parties know that a new middle man exists how are they suppose to do business with them?

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                      On a tangent, what would happen if original agency was in say liquidation?
                      You need to keep an eye on who buys their assets and goodwill.

Also read your contract. Lots contain clauses that means you aren't bound to the contract in cases of administration.

Personally I would let the client know the agency is in liquidation as they probably have such clauses in their contract with the agency.

Comment

Working...
                      X