• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offer of New Contract for Completely Different Role & Worried I'll be Out of My Depth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    £50ph
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      As long as you have been truthful and you feel you can rise to the challenge, then no issue go for it - Need to be a dog, not a cat if you are serious about contracting.
      You could argue if you were serious about contracting you would have built up a good set of marketable skills to ensure end to end work for the foreseeable future. Someone just flailing out at any old gig and getting lucky isn't serious about it IMO
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

£50ph
        So you've just coughed up £7500 as month or so because you're not sure. And the client even still wants you? I'd be straight on the phone trying to repair the damage and get in there sharpish.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I would say fair to the OP for displaying modesty on this forum, it's a far cry from the normal bragging and preening that goes on here.
          But you have to back yourself as a contractor, nobody else is going to.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            So you've just coughed up £7500 as month or so because you're not sure. And the client even still wants you? I'd be straight on the phone trying to repair the damage and get in there sharpish.
            Indeed, it sounds like all is not lost yet and they're still keen so why on earth not call them back and say you're willing to give it a shot?? Fair play for being honest in the first place but as everyone has already said, worst case scenario here is you do the job for a few weeks and either you or they decide it's not right - at least you'll get paid for that time and the likelihood is you'll get on fine anyway.

Comment

Yes, I realise I have made a monumental mistake. Taking too much time mulling over my own doubts in my capabilities about a job I had not even started yet and then voicing then to the client has indeed now sewn the seeds of doubt in their minds and ruined my chances, even if I were to discuss the matter with them. I wasn't 100% comfortable with the working practices/terms 'you'll be doing part of one role and some of another' because it's not a full project manager role etc. so it wasn't very clear from the outset. Perhaps gaining more experience in a fixed term contract or perm rule is the way forward first. ..
              "In life you regret the things you don't do, not the things you do do." - True, but in business the bad deals often stem from when you fail to trust your instincts.

As a contractor (if you're any good) you get to choose the work and on your terms. If a client is asking for A & B but you see some issues then sell yourself for A and decline B. There are many ways to do this without admitting lack of confidence in ones ability. Even if you fail to strike a deal you can still leave an impression of strength rather than weakness.

You're absolutely not wrong to turn a job down, no matter the $$$. But it could've been handled so much better.

Comment

(I've been a PM for 14 years, programme manager for most of it, in business and IT)

OK, you know you've made mistakes so far, including the latest developments. Not ideal. But seriously, stop prevaricating, go back to them, speak to them, rebuild the relationship and get in there. I personally believe the most credible way of doing this is:

"I've been honest with you about my skills and experience and some of what you told me made me feel this might be more of a stretch than would be ideal. I don't say I'll do something and then not do it - once I commit, I deliver [by the way, this is an important trait in any PM!] I would still love the opportunity however so the best I can say is, can we go into this with a commitment to have open and honest dialogue. If you have any concerns, please voice them with me which allows me to act on them. Now I can't wait to get stuck in!"

If you manage it like that, if the worst happens then you can walk away with no regrets and a learning experience for all concerned, but with no hard feelings. You will at least have tried, and you've been straight with the client (which you may as well be).

You don't say what skills and experience they were attracted to on your CV but I do wonder if it was actually the PMO stuff or some other, less directly obvious stuff? But anyway - take this opportunity. GO into it with your eyes open knowing it might not work out, and achieve whatever you can out of it. At least you'll be earning and building experience even if all that tells you is you don't want to be a PM after all!

And I agree with the other PM who said 'what is a standard PM role anyway'. Most of them aren't, and those who rely entirely on process and standardisation (in the PMing itself, I mean, not in what you implement, if process and standardisation is what you're implementing!) entirely miss the point. Projects get delivered mainly because of people.

Go get it!

Comment

Comment

At £50 an hour and they are eager for you to join, id go for it. Most seasoned Pm's (including me) wouldn't take £50 an hour. Worst case, they aren't happy and terminate you, best case, you get an opportunity.

For an experienced PM via agency they would most likely be paying £80 + vat (d.o. Location).

Just widen your network so you have people to use as soundboards

Comment

Originally posted by ceebeepps View Post
                      At £50 an hour and they are eager for you to join, id go for it. Most seasoned Pm's (including me) wouldn't take £50 an hour. Worst case, they aren't happy and terminate you, best case, you get an opportunity.

For an experienced PM via agency they would most likely be paying £80 + vat (d.o. Location).

Just widen your network so you have people to use as soundboards
                      Yeah, I'd intended to mention the rate, too - it's not really a PM rate but it's higher, I assume, than the OP would get in PMO role. So all in all it sounds like it could work out well for everyone. OP gets to dip a toe in the water of PMing (pretty unusual opportunity for a contractor, I'd say) and ClientCo gets somebody for cheaper than they usually would, who nonetheless is keen and can (hopefully!) do the job. It might all go wrong, but with the lines of communication open, the impact of that can be managed.

Comment

Working...
                      X