• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF am I doing wrong?

Hi Newbie here,

I've been contracting for over a year now, had two contracts one short, one long which has just ended.

Contract came to the end, I had been on holiday towards the end (holiday planned and paid for last year) contract officially ended 17 April!!!!! It is now almost a month and I'm frustrated.......

I had 2 interviews before holiday, both unsuccessful then it's been like faulty towers for me:
    1. Monday after holiday I am invited to interview for next day. I was head hunted for the role via LinkedIn, I get the brief, prepare presentation, go to interview, turns out it for a Scrum Master and not for the BA role I'm skilled in. They will have a BA role active soon but it's not live yet, cue confusion I go along with interview = feedback I'm an excellent BA but don't poses enough SM skills/experience, NO tulip SHERLOCK!

2. Attend an interview they are all running late, I sit and wait, interview goes OK, I decide I don't want it due to them wanting someone to go put fires out, the rate isn't worth it never heard back off recruiter which is fine, but I think it's rude!

3. Then I attend 2 interviews last Friday:

Interview A - briefed to me as a 1 stage, Face to Face. Interview goes well. Potential employer/client allegedly tells recruiter I'm 99.99% the person they want, very good feedback BUT....now he wants me to have a quick telephone call with the Product Owner. I agree on the premise it's merely a formality, they just want to chat? Anyway we do the call, there is now THREE people on this "just a quick chat" call, including the Project Manager who's first day it is on the job! Anyway in the end I'm rejected, no feedback given!

Interview B - Interview great, at the end the Director joins us, i have to repeat the Q&A again for him, which was fine, then he asks if I'm ok with travelling and I say yes. Recruiter had asked me this via email and I'd said yes, what he neglected to tell me was that I'd need to be in Hamburg 3 to 4 times a week!

4. This morning I had a 1 stage telephone interview with Guy A, but Guy A & B turned up, I decided after call I don't want it if offered.

5. I had an interview Wednesday, Recruiter said feedback would be received same day, but when Client was showing me around at the end of the interview she said they are interviewing until Monday and would feedback then!

Tomorrow I have another interview I'm just wondering what's going to happen on this one!

You're expecting them to treat you like some sort of royalty. Try being a bit more relaxed and a bit less complicated about those things. Interviews are not rocket science, just so you know, a thing or two might be not exactly like the script said.

Comment

Oh, and when they ask if travel is ok, try asking 'where to?' and 'how often?' You could have saved a trip there and not wasted everyone's including your time.

Comment

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this. Wouldn't it have saved some embarrassment to ask if this is normal first before laying in?

1. You don't get head hunted on LinkedIn. Did you ask for a role special before you went? Isn't uncommon for the role to change before you there.

2. Recruiters are sales people on commission so once you're out are waste of their time. It's the way it is. Have to get used to it. You got all the feedback you needed.

Interview A. So what. Is it like a big deal three people are on the phone. Really poor attitude you have. I wonder if they picked up on that.

Interview B. Did you actually ask the recruiter what travel was required? Bit more research on you part again?

This morning. What's the problem with this? Why are you moaning about it?

Wednesday interview. So you had to wait two more days? Jesus wept.

All in all your sound like a fawning bed wetter to me. Contract interviews are different to permie ones. We have agents in the way so you have one expect mistakes and no feedback. Sometimes the client doesn't really know what he wants etc etc. It comes with the territory. I read half of these as your mistakes as well by the way.

Just approach them professionally and if they don't return that professionalism so what. Deal with.

And the bit about being frustrated about being out of work a month.... Lol.. Welcome to contracting. It's what your war chest is for and expected. You should be planning to work about 10 months if that a year. More is a bonus.

You need to grow some and rethink your approach IMO. You don't sound like a professional service provider to me.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or were you just after a cuddle?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this. Wouldn't it have saved some embarrassment to ask if this is normal first before laying in?

1. You don't get head hunted on LinkedIn. Did you ask for a role special before you went? Isn't uncommon for the role to change before you there.

2. Recruiters are sales people on commission so once you're out are waste of their time. It's the way it is. Have to get used to it. You got all the feedback you needed.

Interview A. So what. Is it like a big deal three people are on the phone. Really poor attitude you have. I wonder if they picked up on that.

Interview B. Did you actually ask the recruiter what travel was required? Bit more research on you part again?

This morning. What's the problem with this? Why are you moaning about it?

Wednesday interview. So you had to wait two more days? Jesus wept.

All in all your sound like a fawning bed wetter to me. Contract interviews are different to permie ones. We have agents in the way so you have one expect mistakes and no feedback. Sometimes the client doesn't really know what he wants etc etc. It comes with the territory. I read half of these as your mistakes as well by the way.

Just approach them professionally and if they don't return that professionalism so what. Deal with.

And the bit about being frustrated about being out of work a month.... Lol.. Welcome to contracting. It's what your war chest is for and expected. You should be planning to work about 10 months if that a year. More is a bonus.

You need to grow some and rethink your approach IMO. You don't sound like a professional service provider to me.

This.

But still because it is your first year

Now MTFU.

Comment

In my experience this is perfectly normal.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I'm surprised you got any feedback at all.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  1. You don't get head hunted on LinkedIn.
                  Sometimes you do

Comment

You have posted this in the wrong forums where people are usually abusive, especially northernladuk.

Try posting this in General section. It is more newbie friendly.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X