• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating restriction / handcuff clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the opt out to be valid, both contractor and umbrella need to do so in writing, before being introduced to the client.

So chances of you being opted out properly are negligible.

Which then renders the handcuff period irrelevant, because you can go direct eight weeks from the end of the contract without the agency charging you or the client any fees.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      For the opt out to be valid, both contractor and umbrella need to do so in writing, before being introduced to the client.

So chances of you being opted out properly are negligible.

Which then renders the handcuff period irrelevant, because you can go direct eight weeks from the end of the contract without the agency charging you or the client any fees.
      Again comes down to interpretation of the magical "introduction or supply". You have your view, we have ours
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        Again comes down to interpretation of the magical "introduction or supply". You have your view, we have ours
        No case has gone to the high court or supreme court so until then we are right and you are wrong.

Personally that bit of legislation is such a mess I would concentrate on the other clauses in the contract......
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Indeed it does

How many cases have S3 taken to court about it, though? I know Rory Dwyer's lot had that one case that he kept bleating about, but how many have you argued?

Based on my previous experiences with agencies (none S3, granted), I'd take my chances in court to show that the opt out wasn't done properly.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Indeed it does

How many cases have S3 taken to court about it, though? I know Rory Dwyer's lot had that one case that he kept bleating about, but how many have you argued?

Based on my previous experiences with agencies (none S3, granted), I'd take my chances in court to show that the opt out wasn't done properly.
            Actually TF you are on safe ground here. The agencies are going to come unstuck in Court because the interpretation will hinge on the 'Spirit' rather than the 'Letter' of the law and we all know this legislation was anti agency...... it was delivered in the heady days of NL* Power, before they realised they could gain more personally from embracing employers rather than workers!

*historical note: NL was once a political party which briefly governed the UK.

Comment

Indeed it does

Actually TF you are on safe ground here. The agencies are going to come unstuck in Court because the interpretation will hinge on the 'Spirit' rather than the 'Letter' of the law and we all know this legislation was anti agency...... it was delivered in the heady days of NL* Power, before they realised they could gain more personally from embracing employers rather than workers!

*historical note: NL now known as the Out-in-the-Wilderness or Who-am-I, party.

Comment

what's your interpretation?

Just out of interest, how do agencies interpret "introduction or supply"?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                  Just out of interest, how do agencies interpret "introduction or supply"?

Thanks
                  Whichever suits them best regardless of the situation.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Whichever suits them best regardless of the situation.
                    Yup. Could be on thing today and another tomorrow...... black is white and white is black according to the situation in hand. I think George Orwell called it Agency Speak!

Comment

Working...
                    X