• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My permie has arrived. Should I make a honorable exit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnie365 View Post
    Hi, My permie replacement has arrived. But I have another 2 months in my contract left. Having spent a decent enough time in this gig, it looks like my manager has given me an polite indication to leave as soon as the handover is complete.

I have nothing lined-up yet.

Should I wait for the contract period to be over or, make a honorable early exit as soon as the permie is up-to speed? What would make me look more professional?
    2 month handover sounds ideal; chill.
    Last edited by oscarose; 24 June 2015, 13:55.
    one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I somehow doubt training the replacement permie is written in the schedule of defined deliverables. The fact you are being replaced with a permie implies that there probably isn't a defined deliverable..
      That wasn't my main point. The OP needs to be careful of D&C, and to bear in mind that s/he potentially has a contract that runs for two more months but with no work being provided by the client. They need to read their contract and talk to their client, not just hang about and hope they can carry on invoicing.

Comment

This happened in a contract that finished a year ago. Permie replacement arrived, still had 6 weeks or so to go. Got another contract the same week he arrived and was gone a week later. Permie and loads of others in the same team were made redundant 3 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie365 View Post
          Hi, My permie replacement has arrived. But I have another 2 months in my contract left. Having spent a decent enough time in this gig, it looks like my manager has given me an polite indication to leave as soon as the handover is complete.

I have nothing lined-up yet.

Should I wait for the contract period to be over or, make a honorable early exit as soon as the permie is up-to speed? What would make me look more professional?
          hang in there and keep billing. this is the best time of your career. You abandoned all pretense to honour when you went contracting :-)

Comment

Working...
          X