• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency behaviour

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debz View Post
    If that is the case then why have they told me that they are waiting to speak to the hiring manager. I have never said that I wasnt happy with original rate just wondered if they could offer more as I was told the rate I was put forward for was not the threshold. If I have blown it then why not just tell me that my re-negotiations have been rejected and do I want to proceed with original offer or not.
    Keeping you holding on just in case they cant get someone else in who doesnt ask for a bit more. Hoping to get someone they can screw on the margin.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

None of you are getting it. There is an offer for me and I have not rejected it so why would it be gone. I have not rejected it.
      You reckon? Could be a multitude of reasons. Never underestimate an agents ability to stoop low or a client ability to be totally disorganised.

Its gone. Believe it.

Comment

I am not sure if I am being replaced to be honest as it is a large scale project and they require many more contractors, agency told me that there are still 15 positions to fill.
        Wouldnt believe an agent if they told me the sun was going down tonight.

Comment

Another point to add when it comes to chasing agents...

If they had something for you, or needed you, they'd crawl for 50 miles over hot coals mixed with broken glass naked with a red hot poker stuffed up their arse to knock on your front door if they couldnt get hold of you.

If they dont return you're calls, it means you are of no use to them.

Comment

The agent may well have went back to the client and told them you want more money.

This could have really pissed the client off.

They might actually not want you at all, but the agent is leaving you hanging on in case they can't find someone else and can at least go back to the client and say you would still do it for the original rate.

Comment

And in future research your costs before negotiating rate. It's not the agency/client problem if your profit margins aren't big enough. Would you like a builder saying "Sorry, pal. Can't go the wall for £1000 like we agreed 'cause my sandwiches are expensive. It'll be £1500 now".

Comment

In these situations it's best to think of the worst thing the agent could do and then assume that's what's happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
                  And in future research your costs before negotiating rate. It's not the agency/client problem if your profit margins aren't big enough. Would you like a builder saying "Sorry, pal. Can't go the wall for £1000 like we agreed 'cause my sandwiches are expensive. It'll be £1500 now".
                  Sorry Debz but the reply above says it all. Why should the basic psychological reaction of the client/agency be any different to your own?

Boot on other foot: Agency says, sorry but since we agreed the gig, the client's budget has been cut/ my boss has kicked my butt for cutting the margin. Please can we re-negotiate?

Chalk it to experience and look for another contract. Don't hang on waiting for the agent to reply

Comment

Here's how I understand what may have happened.

Client contacts agency and says "Hi Agent X with the MiB outfit! I have a budget for a contractor for x months. Can you provide me with some CV's for consideration?"

Agent replies to Client "Sure. Let me send you some hi quality CV's who will fit in your budget"

Agent contacts number of Candidates "Hi Candidate X. We have the perfect role for you. Please send us your CV and your rate details"

Candidate says "Here's my CV and Rate".

Agent rubs hands together to find out that his fat margin is nice and fat. He sends your CV to the client.

Client speaks to Agent "Hi Agent, Candidate X looks fab. I would like to arrange an interview."

Agent speaks to Candidate "Hi. Clients loves you and would like to interview you at the rate of £x"

Candidate attends interview. Client is impressed. Candidate reveals what his agreed rate with the client. Client jaws hit the ground when he realises the markup.

Client phones Agent "We are terminating our agreement with your agency. Thanks and goodbye".
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                      Here's how I understand what may have happened.

Client contacts agency and says "Hi Agent X with the MiB outfit! I have a budget for a contractor for x months. Can you provide me with some CV's for consideration?"

Agent replies to Client "Sure. Let me send you some hi quality CV's who will fit in your budget"

Agent contacts number of Candidates "Hi Candidate X. We have the perfect role for you. Please send us your CV and your rate details"

Candidate says "Here's my CV and Rate".

Agent rubs hands together to find out that his fat margin is nice and fat. He sends your CV to the client.

Client speaks to Agent "Hi Agent, Candidate X looks fab. I would like to arrange an interview."

Agent speaks to Candidate "Hi. Clients loves you and would like to interview you at the rate of £x"

Candidate attends interview. Client is impressed. Candidate reveals what his agreed rate with the client. Client jaws hit the ground when he realises the markup.

Client phones Agent "We are terminating our agreement with your agency. Thanks and goodbye".
                      Except "Candidate attends interview. Client is impressed. Candidate reveals what his agreed rate with the client. Client jaws hit the ground when he realises the markup.

That is not quite what happened. Client rang agency and said " Like Debz but rate too high for this calibre of person, knock it down and I'll take her /him on".

I think the days when clients are staggered to discover agents work for 'profit' went away about two decades ago. Why do we, here, persist in kidding ourselves that it is any different? We work for corporates and they are profit driven. What's not to understand?
                      Last edited by Taita; 3 July 2015, 16:17.

Comment

Working...
                      X