• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hedging against last minute pullout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hedging against last minute pullout

There is no telling how frustrating is to be told,just a day before start, "the contract has been dropped due to blah blah". So to avoid such situation what about progressing with 2 offers? What would be the adverse impact? And how to handle it?

Last minute pullout cause extreme stress, financial loss and very depressing 4-6 weeks of another job search.
    Last edited by Kprad35; 12 August 2015, 17:48.

It doesnt cause financial loss as no work = no pay. And, its part and parcel of contracting (having a role pulled, we've all been there).

Sure you can progress 2, 3 or 4 applications simultaneously. Is your next post going to be 'Ive 3 offers, how do I tell the agents Im not interested in their roles'?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

When you say offers I guess you mean signed contracts. Risking breach just to put your mind at ease a gig might evaporate? Not long before that approach comes and bites you on the ass.
      Extreme stress? Depressing? 4-6 weeks to find a gig? You need to man up or get out.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.I agree as a contractor I should be ready to face such things.

Comment

How does this situation come about? I usually get pimps phoning me with contracts and I say sure put me forward, to any that sound good. Sometimes more than one in a day. Then I'll get a call back (hopefully) saying client A is interested and wants a phone interview tomorrow. Maybe the same for client B.

If client A says yes and it sounds good then I'll accept, and when it comes to talk to client B I will explain that I've accepted a role elsewhere.

I think the only difference between this and permiedom is that I'd be less likely to wait for both 'offers', especially since I'm up front about my rate anyway. And most contracts usually start almost immediately, so not much chance of cancellation.

Clients are always looking for someone to start that instant, they're not gonna blame you or be surprised that you've gone elsewhere, they'll just chalk it down to not getting back to you fast enough.
          Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post

Clients are always looking for someone to start that instant, they're not gonna blame you or be surprised that you've gone elsewhere, they'll just chalk it down to not getting back to you fast enough.
            I don't agree with this at all.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              It doesnt cause financial loss as no work = no pay. And, its part and parcel of contracting (having a role pulled, we've all been there).
              It's definitely a difference in mindset thing.

I can see why someone can view it as a "financial loss". They expected to start earning, and now the carpet has been pulled from under them and they have to start over. Massively frustrating, especially if you have had significant bench time and/or don't have a decent warchest.

But it is absolutely part and parcel of contracting, and getting used to this type of thing is paramount to your well being if you want to continue as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Sure you can progress 2, 3 or 4 applications simultaneously. Is your next post going to be 'Ive 3 offers, how do I tell the agents Im not interested in their roles'?
                No work = no pay. Work = pay. No work for 6 weeks = no pay for 6 weeks. You're being a bit pedantic and I can see the point that's being made. I had two offers on the table and picked the one that evaporated at the last moment; £10k loss from not taking the other one.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Happened at least 3 times to me.
                  Put it down to experience and move on.

Its best to always have a few irons in the fire. Careful management of the different leads means you don't have to upset potential clients, it just depends on how you handle it.
                  Theres always one or two that will go South, but that is business for you.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kprad35 View Post
                    There is no telling how frustrating is to be told,just a day before start, "the contract has been dropped due to blah blah". So to avoid such situation what about progressing with 2 offers? What would be the adverse impact? And how to handle it?

Last minute pullout cause extreme stress, financial loss and very depressing 4-6 weeks of another job search.
                    Man-up & move on this is just part of being a contractor it happens to all of us at some time. Any contract is only valid once your onsite & everything is signed up but even then the client can give 1 weeks notice to you regardless of what the contract says few people will ever enforce the notice period in court due to costs/hassle

Comment

Working...
                    X