• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

anyone got experience of 3 month notice period escape?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone got experience of 3 month notice period escape?

It's anold problem but I would appreciate a view from someone with actual experience.

Last year I was in a contract and accepted a two year direct contract on standard permie terms. This a basic grade council job at the grand salary of £29k. I misread the contract not thinking the 3 month notice period would apply at this grade but it does. Silly me. Seems excessive at this level but maybe things have changed. I verbally gave notice today and was told it's 3 months.
    Im awareof the strict legal position and the usual advice is to negotiate. Has anyone been held to such a notice period with a threat of legal action? They will probably get an agency locum which obviously will cost them. Is it a case of negotiate and if unsuccessful suck it up or have I burned my boats already by saying I want to leave?

I was on 3 months when I left my last permie role back in 2007, I was lucky enough to have savings that could tide me over for a few months. Notice 2006, Leave Feb 2007, Contract May 2007.

I have found that clients are not interested in waiting for more than a month but have never had a problem with 1 months notice. I'm sure this isn't always the case but seems to be common. Had a few agents contact me and when I say that I am in contract til October they switch off.

Get a few quid in the bank, keep applying. Keep it legal, adhere to the contract.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Seems you are on a 2 years fixed term contract which is essentially a permie, so 3 months notice is understandable. As for the potential implications should you decide to break the contract, this is not the best forum to ask your question as it involves employee-employer contract and not business-business contract used by the majority of the population here.

Comment

29k, fixed term, three months notice is wringing you very, very hard. They're REALLY expecting a lot and giving very little.

Honestly, in your shoes I'd be looking at the reference/reputation side of it. Will skipping out early hurt your future job opportunities from that angle?

Legally, the chances of any breach of contract issues are close to zero. In my opinion, not being a lawyer.

If you think you can escape without word going round I'd line something better up and then spin them some cock and bull story about a sick relative that you must urgently visit and just go. Try not to leave them in the lurch as much as possible, sort stuff out before you go but for 29k two year fixed term they get what they pay for and that doesn't include unswerving loyalty.

Comment

I know someone on a 3 month notice period who bailed after 4 weeks recently, they're getting sued by their former employer . I had the same at my last perm place but gave my notice and coasted for 3 months (as they wouldn't let me go sooner), why would you want to keep a dev for 3 months who doesn't want to be there is anyones guess.

Comment

Thanks all. It's more trickybecause it's not a dog eat dog type situation as the local manager has been great to me and although I know you have to look after number one in this world Ive always had a top reference since going locum 3 years ago and dont want to lose that. I have some old HR background and find 3 months a bit ridiculous but it seems more common now, back in the day that sort of notice was for senior management only. Theyve offered to let me take abit of unpaid leave to get abit of a break as I was getting burnt out. Ill take a break, think it over then give notice and leave after Christmas if I still feel restless. I may be a bit mad, Im 60 with a mortgage due to divorce and locum means 45k rather than 29 so it's v tempting.

Comment

Working...
            X