• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting at government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contracting at government

Peeps,

I've tried googling this but getting a myriad of conflicting results.

I've been offered a good contract working in a government dept through a software consultancy - I'll be contracting via my own Ltd co.

Has anyone had any issue re paying themselves dividends etc - I'm asking as my senile brain vaguely recalls there being some news about this a while ago (for the BBC maybe?) - where staff where working via a ltd co and heard there may have been some restrictions put in place to make contractors go PAYE if working at Gov body?

Thanks!

Slogger

Originally posted by slogger View Post
    Peeps,

I've tried googling this but getting a myriad of conflicting results.

I've been offered a good contract working in a government dept through a software consultancy - I'll be contracting via my own Ltd co.

Has anyone had any issue re paying themselves dividends etc - I'm asking as my senile brain vaguely recalls there being some news about this a while ago (for the BBC maybe?) - where staff where working via a ltd co and heard there may have been some restrictions put in place to make contractors go PAYE if working at Gov body?

Thanks!

Slogger
    Just like any other gig

Get your contract (probably CL1) reviewed and working practices. QDOS do a nice government pack with a certificate after review, which I use.

Comment

Are you contracted to the Gov body through an agent and possibly though Capita CL1 or are you contracted to a software consultancy that then supply the Gov body a service? i.e are you a contractor bum on seat or part of delivering a solution by a 3rd party supplier.

If it's through a CL1 I would have said walk away unless it's a corker of a gig but all that will change soon...
      Last edited by northernladuk; 24 August 2015, 16:23.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is a question about contract so might have been better in the Business/Contracting section. There is a sticky about contracting in the public sector in there for you to read. It's a doozy though...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ntracting.html
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          This is a question about contract so might have been better in the Business/Contracting section. There is a sticky about contracting in the public sector in there for you to read. It's a doozy though...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ntracting.html
          Moved!

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Moved!
            thanks for moving - apologies for wrong thread - my mind was thinking of money/law so wrongly assumed accounting/legal.

thanks to everyone for their responses, had a good look at thread.

I'm not going via capita etc, its a smallish consultancy - I 'think' I should be ok, bit that worried me was a section in contract that stated :

'the supplier undertakes that all remuneration constitute and will be treated as employment income for income tax purposes'.

From an IR35 perspective contract looks ok - i.e no moo, no effective notice, right of substitution, no direction etc etc

I will be getting someone like QDOS to give contract a quick once over, I've also asked the consultancy what they mean by this line.

Comment

Working...
            X