• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contractor - Job boards/sites recommandations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contractor - Job boards/sites recommandations

Hi, I am new to the forum and contracting.

I did a quick search on this and didn't find anything relevant, so apologies if it is a repost.

I have decided to make a move into contracting having worked in permanent IT roles for the last 15+ years. In the past I have used sites such as CWJobs and Reed for new permanent roles, but they don't seem to have anywhere near as many contractor roles as they do permanent roles. Now as I'm new to this industry I don't know if this is a true reflection of the current market climate, or if they are not the best places to look for roles?

If anyone uses any other job boards/sites that they would recommend, please let me know. I am on LinkedIN etc as well and I realise that a lot of contract work is found via agencies you have used in the past and previous collegues etc... Just looking for that first contract to get me underway.

Thanks!
    Karl

Existing contacts & Jobserve

Comment

Originally posted by Phase K View Post

I did a quick search on this and didn't find anything relevant, so apologies if it is a repost.Karl
      Can't have been a very good one then. If my livelyhood was on the line I'd be doing a bit more than a quick search.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jo...C4GzggTQx47gAQ
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did a quick search on this and didn't find anything relevant, so apologies if it is a repost.

I have decided to make a move into contracting having worked in permanent IT roles for the last 15+ years. In the past I have used sites such as CWJobs and Reed for new permanent roles, but they don't seem to have anywhere near as many contractor roles as they do permanent roles. Now as I'm new to this industry I don't know if this is a true reflection of the current market climate, or if they are not the best places to look for roles?

If anyone uses any other job boards/sites that they would recommend, please let me know. I am on LinkedIN etc as well and I realise that a lot of contract work is found via agencies you have used in the past and previous collegues etc... Just looking for that first contract to get me underway.

Thanks!
        Karl
        Contact agents in your area and ask if they have a contracts team. See if they'll meet up for a coffee and discuss the contracting game with you.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Contact agents in your area and ask if they have a contracts team. See if they'll meet up for a coffee and discuss the contracting game with you.
          That's just mean! Lol.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            That's just mean! Lol.
            Karl needs to learn early that they aren't all as nice as DA.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Can't have been a very good one then. If my livelyhood was on the line I'd be doing a bit more than a quick search.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jo...C4GzggTQx47gAQ
              +1

50% of contracting early days is setting yourself up for the next one, looking, networking, aligning yourself, registering, chasing up, it's only when you are ld and curmudgeonly like me and NLUK that you beat contracts off with a toooolippty stick....

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
                Existing contacts & Jobserve
                All jobs I know plus existing contracts.

I often get phoned up for roles that aren't advertised.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks!
                  Karl
                  Find 1000s of UK Jobs. Start your job search with Jobsite UK
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Agents may look over your CV for obvious mistakes, so make sure you spell check it.

That's my recommandation anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X