• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 Month contract in Belgium through UK Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Month contract in Belgium through UK Ltd company

Hi,

I operate through a Ltd company based here in the UK. I have done this for many years an have worked all over the world and offshore.

I have recently been offered a 4 month contract in Belgium.

However 3 days before I was due to leave I was sent an email saying to hold back on the travel as there are slight issues.

The issues are that they now want me to sign a contract with an umbrella company that with make sure I comply with all the Belgium tax laws.

This company wants me to register as a self employed worker in Belgium, pay them 350 Euros a month and pay an accountant 60 euros a month. Plus a start up fee and final fee when the job is complete. Fair enough if I was planning staying there but I am only over there for maximum of 4 months. Will be staying in b&b's the whole time and the contract states the length of the job. This company doesn't even take tax it basically just acts as a middle man from the company and me.

I was led to believe that I could operate in Belgium through my own UK Ltd company as this is a short contract and this would be fine. As long as I let the Belgium authorities know what I have earned through Limosa.

Something doesn't quite add up. Why would you pay an umbrella company 350 euros a month to tell you to pay an accountant 60 euros a month. Then why would you register as self employed in Belgium if your only going to be there 4 months?

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Originally posted by raphal
    I would think twice. Its too much hassle for €350 ( £260 ) per day, even with expenses covered.
    Did you read the OP's question?

Comment

All you should need is a limosa - https://www.socialsecurity.be/foreig...mosa/home.html

Are you going direct or through an agency? If it's through an agency, they are just being tulipes and not worth dealing with.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by whitelaw98 View Post
        I was led to believe that I could operate in Belgium through my own UK Ltd company as this is a short contract and this would be fine. As long as I let the Belgium authorities know what I have earned through Limosa.
        Yes, you can work in Belgium through your UK Ltd Co. for up to 183 days in any year without needing to register with the Belgian Tax Authorities. You do need to register with Limosa but (in 2009/10 anyway) they do not ask you how much you earn, just your and your companies' names and other details.

Hth,

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
          Yes, you can work in Belgium through your UK Ltd Co. for up to 183 days in any year without needing to register with the Belgian Tax Authorities. You do need to register with Limosa but (in 2009/10 anyway) they do not ask you how much you earn, just your and your companies' names and other details.

Hth,

Boo
          This is wrong.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...e-belgium.html

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            No, you are wrong. It is possible and legal for a UK Ltd Co. to send and employee/director to a clients' site in Belgium for up to 183 days without that person becoming liable to pay tax in Belgium. I have done this myself and took advice from a local Belgian firm of accountants that that was the case.

Boo2

Comment

Working...
            X