• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Career Change while contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    This. There's junior, normal and senior analysts, etc. in permie world but contractors are all assumed to have the skills/experience to be senior when many clearly are not.
    Exactly!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      We have been interviewing at my clients for the last few months and I'm sick of getting CVs in with people that have had less than 4 years experience before they went contracting or people that have switched roles in their contracting career. They offer me absolutely nothing above and beyond a mediocre permie. Falling in to a new skill set whilst being a contractor means you can follow the process that your client uses but really fail when it comes to have a good grasp in the profession that you are representing. A good example is a BA that's managed to switch in to PM. Just because they have spent a year in PM contracts does not make them a skilled PM. I've seen 9 CVs like this and it's apparent the person is not skilled in the profession they purport to represent. It's been a real eye opener for me and I see now why some people spend so much time on the bench.

Switching skills as you wish to with no chance how to learn to do it properly first means you are going to struggle for gigs for years to come. Switching with no skills at all is most certainly not going to end well and you will be spending a long time in the bench in between gigs for a long time.

Invest some time in a permanent role to gain saleable skills and then come back contracting. Treat it as short term investment to a career that will last much longer.
      I agree with this, I had been thinking about contracting since 2009 but with only 5 years professional experience didn't feel that I had enough to offer, I only took the plunge last year with 10 solid years experience (and a few years worth of education/hobby/freelance experience) I can't see anyone giving you a decent day rate without a proven track record.

Comment

I can't see anyone giving you a decent day rate without a proven track record.
        Not the case anymore I'm afraid.
        I think its one of the factors that could kill contracting completely
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
          I can't see anyone giving you a decent day rate without a proven track record.
          supply and demand is king

Comment

I started contracting as a developer. I was mainly working with one consultancy. As time went on I became a lead developer then an applications manager (responsible for a number of client systems). Come 1997 they pulled in a big Y2K programme and their chosen programme manager suddenly upped and left. They stuck me in to fill the gap and heh presto I was now worth £600 per day. Before they put me in I would never got such a role in a month of Sundays. After that one (successful) entry on my CV I slipped effortlessly into roles with the biggest players.

Just as well, as my developer skills tanked in the market at the start of the new millenium
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              supply and demand is king
              But who is demanding tulip people?

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                But who is demanding tulip people?
                short supply means the bar needs to be lowered

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  short supply means the bar needs to be lowered
                  Not necessarily. Getting the wrong people in will cause more problems than having no one in in the short term. In some cases maybe but as a blanket statement then no.

There are also a number of threads about the market being quiet and plenty of people on the bench you are incorrect in your statement the demand is there for everyone to get a gig regardless of levels of skills...

Flashing two unqualified statements with no further context doesn't help anyone really.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's very simple. If the interviewer isn't good, you'll get the best salesperson rather than the best person for the job.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Not necessarily. Getting the wrong people in will cause more problems than having no one in in the short term. In some cases maybe but as a blanket statement then no.

There are also a number of threads about the market being quiet and plenty of people on the bench you are incorrect in your statement the demand is there for everyone to get a gig regardless of levels of skills...

Flashing two unqualified statements with no further context doesn't help anyone really.
                      The market is is not quiet in all skills.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X