• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract canned before start but after financial commitment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTFY

Originally posted by allovertheplace View Post
    I like NLUK's posts. He funny and they almost always put a smile on my face I can see why he was personality of the year 2011. Although I think there is a bit of an unhealthy obsession with Andy W's mum going on!
    Yes, errr, he is a bit of a personality I'll give you that
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

LOL

I like NLUK's posts. He funny and they almost always put a smile on my face I can see why he was personality of the year 2011. Although I think there is a bit of an unhealthy obsession with mumsnet going on!

Thanks for all the words guys - yes, hands up - derpy derp moment from me. Live and learn.

Apparently agent is not in today...Certainly would not recommend anyone commit too much to a role...

Managed to get some of the monies back from the accommodation people, close call though.
      Cheers

You a Brony then?
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

as per what others have said...and what I do myself is to live out of a B&B / hotel for the 1st month....gauge how it's going before paying for a longer term accomodation.

Comment

Are you new to contracting ? I dont think there is any way an experienced contractor would be laying out that type of money pre/early contract. I always say a contract is never up and running until you have worked the first week, and the money is in the bank. Then you can get the feel of how its going from there.
          The last time I stayed away on a regular basis was on an 18 months contract, 25 quid a night in a skanky room over a skanky pub, Mon/Thurs

Having said that its a classic example of how an agent can turn you over if you let them. I trust none of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
            Are you new to contracting ? I dont think there is any way an experienced contractor would be laying out that type of money pre/early contract. I always say a contract is never up and running until you have worked the first week, and the money is in the bank. Then you can get the feel of how its going from there.
            The last time I stayed away on a regular basis was on an 18 months contract, 25 quid a night in a skanky room over a skanky pub, Mon/Thurs

Having said that its a classic example of how an agent can turn you over if you let them. I trust none of them.
            WHS

Comment

Hello,

This board is full of good, interesting info. Already determined that any concept of notice period is nonsense, even though it specifies it (and actually exists only to confuse and serves the agency only).

Just got canned today, the day the contract due to start, on the phone before starting. I have already paid almost a grand in accommodations to start said contract.

Although no recourse for the 1 weeks notice period, please can you also verify my opinion that I do not have any recourse for damages amounting to what I have lost on the basis of the contract being signed (grand in accommodations)? My argument is that yes they have a right to terminate at any time (as per contract), but that contract must have started before they can do this, and contract can only start after I actually start work with client as opposed to the day/time on the contract (yes I know I clutching at straws here...

Agent knew I was spending this early part of the week, but the more I think about this, I'm sure the agent waited until today to tell me, as I guess that the contract would have to start in order for him to exercise the termination right. Start in the day/time sense, not the "show up for work" sense.

Just wondered whether anyone else been in this situation and what happened....if nothing else for some sympathy!!!

Lessons learnt etc...
              Cheers
              I always ask for an advance on accomodation & travel until first invoice. OK, I work internationally, the rules might be different in the UK, but I am not prepared to shoulder the risk myself. I want an Agent's skin in the game.

Sorry to hear about your situation. You've lost a grand an learnt a lesson. At the very least make no financial commitment until you are on site and feeling secure next time.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                I always ask for an advance on accomodation & travel until first invoice. OK, I work internationally, the rules might be different in the UK, but I am not prepared to shoulder the risk myself. I want an Agent's skin in the game.
                Absolutely, I usually get them to book it all up too.
                The problem is most in the UK are just crap r.e. negotiations.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Just move on for now, there is not much you can do immediately.
                  Then if you feel up to it contact your Business Legal Advisor, you do have one right? (With all that other insurance we pay for) And start a process with them, it may take 6-18 months to get an answer and possibly your costs recouped if successful. But its a game of time, patience and smart moves. Is the stress is worth the ~1k you could have made, or the 1k you lost?

You handled it incorrectly from the start, bidding on a risky bet. You could have just gone in for a few weeks using cheap accommodation, verify the agent will pay you in timely fashing, and the client is trustworthy and a nice place to work at. After 4-6 weeks, you could have made more "permanent" decisions based on facts and not promises.

Comment

Working...
                  X