• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finance Company Dress Code...in Asia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finance Company Dress Code...in Asia

Chaps

Yes, I'm a contractor so there is no dress code, but listen:

I've got a role for a finance company in Canary Wharf in London, I work there 2 weeks and then I go to Singapore and work in their office for 2 months, return to the UK and repeat.
    I've not worked in a finance environment before and I normally just wear jeans, T-shirt and non-fancy shoes (youngish IT person here). For the UK, I'm hoping this wouldn't raise eyebrows among the sharp suits.

However, when I go to Singapore, will I get flak for dressing like that? Anyone got experience working in a financial client's office in Asia? Again, strictly speaking as an independent contractor I can wear what I want but finance companies have got a degree of cash behind them where they can play by their own rules if someone appears to be bringing the place down, I don't fancy being told to get out the office on the other side of the planet - and the work culture in Asia is much more rigid to that of the UK too.

I guess I really should just wear smart in each office at first at least and maybe tone it down from there but if anyone could provide a concrete answer and save me packing clothes needlessly I'd love to know.

Dress to impress

I always dress at my best for first few days, then I know how much I can relax my atire. Its always better to look better than to look sloppy.

Comment

Singapore - suited and booted + tie, be prepared for 14 hour days - no one escapes early ever !!!

Most banks in Canary Wharf won't let you wear jeans to the office (except dress down Friday's ) - yes yes you don't work for the bank, but let's see how long you last

Comment

Was often in SG back as permie. Loved every moment of it.
        If I can ask: are you paid the same UK and SG? I looked for contract roles there (finance) but could not find anything with a pay comparable to UK

Comment

tarbera - I'm contracted for 7.5 hours a day, my boss is in the UK, I'm not doing their ridiculous hours. Thanks for the info about the Canary Wharf attitude to dress-code, even as a contractor. I guess I'd better do as I suspected then and not risk it.

gixxer - I'm being paid in pounds, my rate is the UK rate, my boss is in the UK, my projects come from the UK. I interviewed, was offered the role but I insisted I'd only accept on the basis of me working from their Singapore office and they were actually all for it, they need a Singapore presence anyway. I love Singapore too and have been there often, the weather in the UK at this time of year is just depressing. I turned down a role in London paying 3k more a month just to accept this one, that's how much I hate winter in the UK.

Comment

Why dont you just ask your client?
            Last edited by northernladuk; 15 January 2016, 02:25.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Try this?
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

This dress code thing is same as everything else with the client. Yes you don't have to listen to what they say but act like an arse and insist you have rights and turn up in jeans when the rest of the office is not is a sure fire way to piss people off and get your contract not renewed.

Smart casual is usually best bet I find for most clients (i.e. shirt, trouser, shoes, no tie).
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Try this?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    This dress code thing is same as everything else with the client. Yes you don't have to listen to what they say but act like an arse and insist you have rights and turn up in jeans when the rest of the office is not is a sure fire way to piss people off and get your contract not renewed.
                    I'd say that's not quite correct. There will be quite a few clients that won't accept you turning up in what you want and dress code is mandatory. You won't get as far as a renewal in those situations.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X