• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Post Office/HSBC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    I would chose Royal Mail if you want stability.
    As I have been corrected on, that is a separate entity to the Post Office.

Well, how about the Bank of Ireland, instead of the Post Office? Cut out the middleman as it seems their financial products a provided by the BOI and just a branding exercise. Outsourced Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      HSBC have regular rate cuts. 10% I hear is the norm. They also tend to use Fujitsu who keep most of the daily rate & pass little onto the contractor! Then the news about HSBC considering leaving UK for Hong Kong unlikely to happen but contractors get regular culling @ IB's HSBC are one of the worse for this so I would chose Royal Mail if you want stability.
      They have regular culls of permies never mind contractors, that's how I started contracting

Comment

I left HSBC last March and was a 2.5 year gig, 5 x 6 month. Was much the same sort of environment as other IBs I have worked at.

As others have said cuts are part of the landscape in IB. And HSBC managed 10% cut 5 months after I managed to negotiate a rate increase, frustrating.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          The PO is the proud owner of The Horizon accounting system.

Bunch of amateurs.
          Fujitsu are the suppliers of this system

The twelve months I contracted at Fujitsu working on the PO account were not the most pleasant in my contracting history especially because PO were very very difficult

BTW I had to go through checks very close to SC to be able to work for PO

Comment

Money for Old Rope (if you like Old Rope)

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            I left HSBC last March and was a 2.5 year gig, 5 x 6 month. Was much the same sort of environment as other IBs I have worked at.
            There's a lot more to HSBC than IB ("GB&M"). The other bits haven't had rate cuts and pay well above the market. They're supposed to be having a hiring freeze but every other role on Jobserve is HSBC at the moment (look for 'Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Chester')
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

The PO is the proud owner of The Horizon accounting system.
              Which is dire need of a decent contractor to sort out. If you get the gig see if you can find out how they hushed up the incriminating evidence about Horizons faults and banged up a number of the Post Masters.

Nick Wallis: Private Eye No 1378 Post Office follow up

This is an ongoing investigation.

Comment

Pleased with the overwhelming response thanks everyone. Bit more details on the role here,understand the previous email was quite sketchy.

PO - Hybrid PM/Product manager role within Post office Money which is now a separate wing within post office and owns financial services offered by PO under Bank of Ireland umbrella.It means delivering the product and services for post office money directly and then owning the product strategy/landscape etc. This role is not via Fujitsu which is one of their suppliers. I was told its the biggest transformation programme in europe and Government is backing them up on this project which is quite reassuring.

HSBC- RBWM Generic project manager role. Within RBWM this is a generic Project Manager role within RBWM Change Delivery team of the HSBC Technology and Services I will be managing and driving progress in a small number of projects being responsible mainly for the seamless delivery of the business and IT project elements. There is some domestic travel involved

I am keen to pursue the option that has maximum longevity and i guess its Post office, although HSBC brand is appealing.

Thanks for all your input , anxious to hear more.
                Last edited by Nickk; 4 February 2016, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  There's a lot more to HSBC than IB ("GB&M"). The other bits haven't had rate cuts and pay well above the market. They're supposed to be having a hiring freeze but every other role on Jobserve is HSBC at the moment (look for 'Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Chester')
                  Wouldn't surprise me if there was a hire freeze on CW - there's speculation of rents increasing and of IBs looking at the American model of shifting back office ops away from premium cost sites like CW and The City to other parts of the UK. Would be a good way to kickstart the "Northern Powerhouse" that Gidiot burbles on about rather than Bob Shawadiwadi getting invited to destroy it with incompetence.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Which is dire need of a decent contractor to sort out. If you get the gig see if you can find out how they hushed up the incriminating evidence about Horizons faults and banged up a number of the Post Masters.

Nick Wallis: Private Eye No 1378 Post Office follow up

This is an ongoing investigation.
                    Rumour has it that IBM may be coming in to sort this out. At least according to one MP. So probably no rumour at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                      They have regular culls of permies never mind contractors, that's how I started contracting
                      Does not surprise me same as Barcap revolving doors hiring policy!

Comment

Working...
                      X