• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal regret

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously I have got to MAN UP. Thanks for listening chaps

Comment

Originally posted by Les67 View Post
      Like I said, the main admin thing you need to do is to check that your statement of work matches with what you are doing.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you have something to enjoy at least every month then you won't worry about them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Assuming that you're operating outside of IR35, my main concern would be how what you're doing differs from the statement of work on your contract extension.
          This was going to be my question. If your original contract was for the managerial role and the paperwork reflected that, then I don't see how they can change your role without changing the contract - you may have grounds to push back because of this.

However, if the original contract was for a hands-on role and you just ended up doing the managerial work then not only is that a red flag for IR35, it also gives you little or no room for complaint if your role has now become what it was always meant to be.

One bit of advice that is often forgotten though is just to try talking to the client and - if you have a good relationship with them - the agent. It's possible that things could be done to improve your situation especially if you can sell them as being beneficial to the client/project. Clients rarely want to lose good people and if you've been offered an extension then they must want to keep you around so there can often be some flexibility if you are willing to make it work.

Comment

tbh, I was in a managerial type role and making a big difference in moving a bad project forward, now the original managers seem to have taken back the helm (I think there has been some internal kickings) and I've now become 'hands on' which means I've become part of the problem rather than part of the solution and it is all turning back to how it was before I started and I can't make a difference anymore (woe is me) I did get a good rate rise with the renewal and I do hear what you are all sayin' - think I needed putting back in my box in hindsight!
            Or, in translation - I hope this doesn't sound too harsh - you were a manager, they found you out, now you're not ?

I'd leave before they sack you...

BGoo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
              Or, in translation - I hope this doesn't sound too harsh - you were a manager, they found you out, now you're not ?

I'd leave before they sack you...

BGoo
              Maybe but he got a rate rise so that does not add up.
              Personally I would put all this angst behind you Les and strive to fix what you perceive is the problem with the project irrespective of the position in the team that you think you now have.

Only thing to watch out for is are you being setup as a patsy?
              Also as suggested do check what your contract says and X ref it to what you are being asked to do, it could bugger up your IR35 status.
              Last edited by DallasDad; 23 February 2016, 20:49. Reason: typo, need better glasses!
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                Maybe but he got a rate rise so that does not add up.
                Personally I would put all this angst behind you Les and strive to fix what you perceive is the problem with the project irrespective of the position in the team that you think you now have.

Only thing to watch out for is are you being setup as a patsy?
                Also as suggested do check what your contract says and X ref it to what you are being asked to do, it could bugger up your IR35 status.
                Wise words, thanks Dad - one question - what's a Patsy? Thanks again

Comment

Patsy = Scapegoat
                  So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

I genuinely hate it, it feels more junior, and the relationship with the client seems to have changed for the worse - not sure what happened - whether contractor person was making good progress and exposing weaknesses which has caused friction, etc etc etc, but like I said I did get a rate rise..I suppose I should suck it up, as others have mentioned - it could be a lot worse
                    I'm gonna give you some different advice. It depends what field you're in of course. Are you staying away from home? This means they buy your entire time. I'm in a similar boat. Life is too short to be unhappy. If you have the funds to support yourself for an amount of time without working that is comfortable to you, then there is no harm in leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
                      I'm gonna give you some different advice. It depends what field you're in of course. Are you staying away from home? This means they buy your entire time. I'm in a similar boat. Life is too short to be unhappy. If you have the funds to support yourself for an amount of time without working that is comfortable to you, then there is no harm in leaving.
                      It's a contract... not his entire life..... Sometimes you have to suck it up and see things through as well. Can't be taking the pussy route everytime.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X