• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor to Permie - Salary Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor to Permie - Salary Question

Hello there.

Currently on the bench, potentially for a while with a major downturn in my industry / area.

There are a few interesting staff roles on offer in other areas of the country / industries at the moment. As such, I am considering a move back to a staff position.

One application has asked for salary details and overall benefits package value in my current or last role. As you can imagine, this is slightly tricky to answer when one has been working as a contractor for the several years.

What are people's thoughts on answering this question? Would you put down your last day rate and put N/A in the benefit section? Or should I put down the details of my last staff job from a few years back?

This is a required field in the application so there is no getting away from it.

Any help much appreciated.

Just put down 'Contractor' if you just have a short box to fill or explain you were a contractor so difficult to translate if you have space for more text.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmokramer View Post
      Or should I put down the details of my last staff job from a few years back?

This is a required field in the application so there is no getting away from it.

Any help much appreciated.
      Only if you want them to make you the most derisory offer available.

HTH.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Does NOYFB fit?

After all, what they offer you shouldn't reflect what you were on but your potential worth to them, bringing contractor experience and attitude to a permie role.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Just state what you're looking for
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmokramer View Post
            One application has asked for salary details and overall benefits package value in my current or last role. As you can imagine, this is slightly tricky to answer when one has been working as a contractor for the several years.
            You know what your salary is. You know what your benefits are. You know what your dividends are.

Doesn't seem that tricky to stick them on the form.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              You know what your salary is. You know what your benefits are. You know what your dividends are.

Doesn't seem that tricky to stick them on the form.
              If he puts down his contractor income, it is much, much higher than he'll get as a permie, and they'll bin his application on the assumption he's wanting more than they'll pay.

Put the salary you are looking for, and explain that as a contractor you made more, but you are looking for the stability of a permanent role so your prior income isn't indicative.

Comment

I would just put the salary I'm looking for if there's a freetext field where you can give an explanation do so there

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  I would just put the salary I'm looking for if there's a freetext field where you can give an explanation do so there
                  previously I've just stated my total package as a contractor was £x - basically tell new employer you're now after a total package of £y - where y is hopefully > x ;-)

Comment

Is this a trick question?

Supplying the exact measure of your previous role is exactly what employers want because then they know exactly how much money they can get away with paying you. This is the same whether it's contract or perm.]

If an agent ever asks me how much I was on previously I answer with "market rate for skillset is between x/ a day and that's roughly what I'm looking for"

Comment

Working...
                    X