• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sponsor tier2 visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    I'm a tier 2 sponsor, so can offer some information on this.

First of all I needed obtain a sponsor license for MyCo Ltd. I had to explain why I was applying for a license - which in my case was because I was employing a Tier 5 holder (Canadian national). I had to give information about the post, and some background information about my company. I got the impression that they wanted to be assured as to the legitimacy of my company. Once that hurdle was passed, we had to do the market labour test. Once that was approved, the rest was a formality.

Some things to bear in mind:

Migrant sponsorship is not to be taken lightly. The Home Office expects you to take your responsibilities seriously.

Your proposal won't work. You need to employ your colleague, i.e. salary, etc (and that salary must meet the minimum threshold). You could, I suppose, employ him and contract him out (as long as you passed the market labour test which you probably won't), but you can't take a % of his daily rate.

Unless you are intending to employ the migrant, I wouldn't even entertain the idea.
    Thanks for the info. Do you mind me asking if you are a one man band and does that matter a lot while applying.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      Thanks for the info. Do you mind me asking if you are a one man band and does that matter a lot while applying.
      Please read this.

Tier 2 genral : UK Tier 2 (Employer Sponsored) visas • Immigrationboards.com

Under T2 rules you can only be employed by the end client direct, you cannot work via an intermediary. Lots of dodgy companies do do it, but they are being jumped on and hit with hefty fines.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        No, not a one-man band. It doesn't explicitly matter, but I suspect it's a factor, though.

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Please read this.

Tier 2 genral : UK Tier 2 (Employer Sponsored) visas • Immigrationboards.com

Under T2 rules you can only be employed by the end client direct, you cannot work via an intermediary. Lots of dodgy companies do do it, but they are being jumped on and hit with hefty fines.
        I wonder how that would work in my situation. So I employ 5 people. One of whom is on a Tier 2 visa. If a client asked for a day's consultancy, and I sent my Tier 2 visa employee and charged a daily rate, would that be OK? What about if they wanted that for a week? What about three months?

Everything we do is for an end-client, I just wonder where the limit is with regards to her on-site involvement. It's not relevant as we generally do everything from our own offices, but she is doing some work for me which we're billing on a daily rate basis at the moment. Maybe it's OK, because even if I sent her on client site for a month, she's still employed by me, and whether we bill her out at £200 or £500pd, her salary remains the same.

Edit: I found the answer - the sponsor (i.e. MyCo Ltd) must be the company that determines the duties for the migrant worker. So contracting out to client site is legal, but I must be the one who determines her duties. Realistically, that may well work for me, as I have a more established business with processes, etc, but not for the OP - and in any case, the OP would have to payroll his chum.
        Last edited by GillsMan; 10 March 2016, 10:36.

Comment

Working...
        X