• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waiting for extension and looking for a new gig just in case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for extension and looking for a new gig just in case

How do you guys act when your current contract is close to an end, client cannot decide whether it will be extended until the last moment to keep you standing on your toes and at the same time you need to keep answering endless calls from agents in office hours.
    If you don't answer calls, agents will see that you are in a gig (and likely to extend) so they will not consider you as a low hanging fruit and will loose interest dealing with you. If you keep answering calls this will be endless so the client will become upset very quickly and will not extend.
    How to you handle that catch 22 situation?

Annoying when you first start contracting perhaps, but in fact you are in a good position, so just enjoy it.

Comment

It's not really a catch 22 unless you make it one. You keep working up to the point the contract ends.. That's it. Until there is a contract on the table in front of you you have nothing so you stick to the terms of the existing contract.

In the meantime you look for new work where possible. Sometimes you can't take the call in office hours. Such is life. You continue to act professionally and balance the fact you are on site billing a client and looking for new work. You don't use the clients time to spend hours on the phone looking. Arrange for calls at lunchtime or come in early and finish early giving you some time in the afternoon. Agents should understand as they will come across this regularly. Change your VM to explain you are on client site and will call back shortly and call the agent's back at lunch or something.

If you are getting too many calls and can't take them all then take the time off or re-think your application strategy. It's just a matter of balance.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Actually, you've already asked this question back in February.. Why are you asking again? Didn't get the answer you wanted?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post2211744

Comment

Lot of clients like this. Take it up until the wire. These ones almost always assume too you've "got" to accept.

I've never understood why they dont sort earlier before you have chance to look at something else if they're that bothered. Current client does this and I dont have chance to look :-(

But in answer, keep looking up until its a done deal. Never know you might get a better off. I ALWAYS let agent calls go to voicemail. ALWAYS. Not cool to be discussing contracts in the office.

90% of the time then I'll back lunchtime/end of day. Only if its urgent will I slope off somewhere quiet.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Criticular View Post
            If you keep answering calls this will be endless so the client will become upset very quickly and will not extend.
            I have found they are impressed you are so much in demand and want to extend you sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I have found they are impressed you are so much in demand and want to extend you sooner.

Comment

I am within the final month of my current contract and agency emailed me yesterday saying that they were discussing an extension with ClientCo later in the week and was I happy to extend. What a question to ask with any mention of rate or duration.

So told him I would decide when he had finalised the detail.

As it happens I have a couple of other thing that I would prefer to pursue if they became available, so the longer they take finalising the renewal offer the better.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Criticular
                  Do you put your mobile phone on job boards?

Don't be so cretinous. Give them your email. If they are interested, they will contact you. Mobile phones just give fishing opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                  X