• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restructure of Ltd in face of budget changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felix22 View Post
    If it was anyone else I'd say the same, but this guy is an experienced contractor - been in the game 10+ years and generally on most matters I'd trust his opinion.
    Hence my query here - it doesn't sound right to me, but on the other hand I find it hard to believe as a seasoned contractor he would fall for a scam.
    He may genuinely believe he's beaten HMRC and has a fool proof method. Thing is it might be now but with retrospective taxation and penalties it's going to unravel hard and fast.

Just because people have 10+ years it doesn't mean they aren't gullible idiots. PC has been contracting for over 10 years hasn't he? Should we trust him?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And have a look at this thread as well...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post2228321

Comment

Playing devils advocate for a second.

If you are contracting in the public sector you could use one of these schemes to sidestep the new PSC rules and get paid as before without being caught under PAYE etc.

Put the difference in tax you would have paid against what you pay through the scheme in a CTD and the only downside is the scheme providers fees.

If/When HMRC come calling you have the cash to pay the tax bill. If they never come calling you get the CTD cash back.

Just a thought.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

If you are contracting in the public sector you could use one of these schemes to sidestep the new PSC rules and get paid as before without being caught under PAYE etc.

Put the difference in tax you would have paid against what you pay through the scheme in a CTD and the only downside is the scheme providers fees.

If/When HMRC come calling you have the cash to pay the tax bill. If they never come calling you get the CTD cash back.

Just a thought.
          Why not just turn down the gig in the PS and go get another one that means you won't have to sleep with one eye open for the next 6 years?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Why not just turn down the gig in the PS and go get another one that means you won't have to sleep with one eye open for the next 6 years?
            I did say I was playing devils advocate.

If the tax that could be owed is in a CTD then you won't have to lose any sleep over it anyway. CTD means no interest or penalties when the bill turns up provided you took it out before the tax liability payment was due.

Comment

I did say I was playing devils advocate.

If the tax that could be owed is in a CTD then you won't have to lose any sleep over it anyway. CTD means no interest or penalties when the bill turns up provided you took it out before the tax liability payment was due.
              Wouldn't the existence of the CTD mean someone's going to start prodding about in your bins?

It's hypothetical I know.

Comment

Just a thought.
                What about penalties and interest, what is a CTD and why do they not apply
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  What about penalties and interest, what is a CTD and why do they not apply

Certificate of Tax Deposit.

Essentially you deposit cash with HMRC against future tax liabilities but unlike a payment on account you retain control of the cash and have access to it. If a tax bill turns up you can then use the CTD to pay it. If the CTD was taken out before the tax was deemed to be due then it is regarded as having been paid on time and no interest etc is applied.

After 6 years, or whatever the time limit is, if HMRC haven't challenged your arrangements and have run out of time to do so you can cash in the CTD and get your money back, potentially with interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix22 View Post
                    generally on most matters I'd trust his opinion
                    Is that because your "mate" is a figment of your scheme-promoting imagination?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      Is that because your "mate" is a figment of your scheme-promoting imagination?
                      No. I'm not promoting a scheme, I've just never come across this before - been happily working thru Ltd for 5 years and it was only when I happened to mention I'd be optimising my dividends for this tax year due to the budget that he mentioned his new set up.

Comment

Working...
                      X