• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
    Passed four (!) interviews, the last one was a day-long technical task. So far so good, during the whole process, my agent was told I am their preferred candidate. When it came to signing up a contract - the client postponed hiring for an uncertain period of time. Very sorry...
    You what? Sounds like they were taking you for a ride..

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      Sounds like they were taking you for a ride..
      Not really, they just wanted to ensure I gain the right vison and how I can assess some abstract problem, by the nature of job it could not be tested quite in a short time.
      I did not have issues with that kind of test tasks, was happy to do it and learned much of relevant stuff while doing that, that fas a fun for me. The problem is that they postponed hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
        Not really, they just wanted to ensure I gain the right vison and how I can assess some abstract problem, by the nature of job it could not be tested quite in a short time.
        I did not have issues with that kind of test tasks, was happy to do it and learned much of relevant stuff while doing that, that fas a fun for me. The problem is that they postponed hiring.
        4 interviews + 1 day long technical test for a contract role is insane.

If it's so technically minded that you need a whole day to test for it then surely the 4 interviews are completely unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          4 interviews + 1 day long technical test for a contract role is insane.
          If it's so technically minded that you need a whole day to test for it then surely the 4 interviews are completely unnecessary.
          3 interviews plus one technical task. 4 in total. From 3 blah-blah type of interview, 2 indeed were unnecessary and could be omitted.

Maybe insane, but I am not in a position to dispute - that was my one and only opportunity of avoiding at least 3 months bench. By the days when I applied (end of March), I did realize that state of the market plus mass postponement of recruitment won't leave me another chance to start a role ASAP. Plus I know I fully suitable for this role and can cope with it and tech. challenges, just need to come and take this contract. And I made it, but still too late when the decision to lay down all the recruitment came within next few days, sadly ...
          Last edited by MisterLysenkiy; 16 April 2020, 00:43.

Comment

Originally posted by steveclv View Post
            Just my 2c and I'm not trying to be alarmist and if someone wants to persuade me I am wrong then that's fine.
            The talk of countries relaxing their lockdown rules is cause for real concern.
            Although the NHS came out today to say that they now had sufficient resources to cope with a Coronavirus peak - the mortality rate continues to run at extremely high numbers.
            People are not dying because they cannot get a bed in ICU or not being admitted into hospitals - they are dying in ICU, on ventilators.
            There is a 50:50 chance of survival if you get admitted into ICU despite the best efforts of the brave NHS staff. There is no cure, all they can do is manage the symptoms and hope that your body can fight off the infection.
            We cannot afford to relax the lockdown until a cure or vaccine is available and that's how long the market is going to depressed.
            Steve

The thing to look for is the infection fatality rate and the truth is until we do mass testing nobody knows what that is although it could be extremely low.

Of the countries that did any significant testing like Iceland the rate was 0.4%.

It’s all well and good locking down until we have a cure but if the economy collapses and we can no longer afford a health service then there really is a limit to how long this can last despite the risks.

New Scientist article which explains a little better.

Why we still don't know what the death rate is for covid-19 | New Scientist

Comment

Had a couple of telephone interviews yesterday - 1 perm 1 contract. Direct with clients and no agent involved in the process. Cyber security work.

One a small(er) consultancy and the other a larger Pharma co., both looking to complete recruitment asap and onboard remotely.

Current contract workload is.....light.

Comment

Originally posted by Highland View Post
                Direct with clients and no agent involved in the process
                That's a coincidence, the only two leads I've got at the moment are direct with clients as well. It seems like a really long time since I've talked to an agent with a real role.

Comment

I am in contact until June at the moment but after that i don't know. Will obviously depend on how long restrictions are in place but I suppose the hope is that being a supply side problem the economy will recover quicker than previous crashes?

Comment

Locking down to when a vaccine is found is ridiculous as its at least a year off, if not more. Even though people say one is imminent it’s way off in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by valleycom View Post
                      Locking down to when a vaccine is found is ridiculous as its at least a year off, if not more. Even though people say one is imminent it’s way off in reality.

Under 30 released from lockdown in May
                      Under 40 released from lockdown in June
                      Under 50 released from lockdown in august
                      Under 60 released from lockdown in October
                      60+ kept in lockdown until cure

Will be the pattern I suspect

The jobs and contracts will go to the younger folk rather than older (with more experience)

Comment

Working...
                      X