• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I'd pretty much given up hope yesterday but late on and this morning, a flurry of activity and I'm represented for 3 roles, all being outside IR35 and on good rates. Fortunately I know the agents involved, which I believe definitely makes a difference. Just a question of landing one now. Fingers crossed.
    Bananas at the ready...

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      I'd pretty much given up hope yesterday but late on and this morning, a flurry of activity and I'm represented for 3 roles, all being outside IR35 and on good rates. Fortunately I know the agents involved, which I believe definitely makes a difference. Just a question of landing one now. Fingers crossed.
      Best of luck.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Feeling ok but don't know what else I can do

Hey,
        I'm new to this forum but up until April, I was in a contract Scrum Master/Agile coach role. I didn't search for anything in May/June due to personal time off. And now nothing at all.
        There aren't that many roles and even the ones that are there you don't get any replies.
        I only got interviewed a permy but the company didn't proceed because of my contracting background and saying I don't have enough experience

On the Ltd company side, I'm still paying the insurance but now thinking of at least cancel the insurance.

What should we do? Change CV a bit to apply for Development manager role as I used to be a programmer. Start driving Uber or just try to get a perm job?

There I'm all done

Comment

Originally posted by rca View Post
          Hey,

What should we do? Change CV a bit to apply for Development manager role as I used to be a programmer. Start driving Uber or just try to get a perm job?

There I'm all done
          It's not a good time for Uber drivers now. One Uber driver told me he was incredibly busy in the middle of the lockdown due to lack of competition!!

Maybe just consider all options, have multiple CVs, and also consider permit.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerouswhensober View Post
            This contract was posted yesterday on Jobserve.

GREAT Attitude:
            To become good Software Development Engineer in Test, you must have a GREAT attitude. You should able to upgrade your technical skills with the changing technologies. Your attitude should have some level of independence. So that, you can take ownership of the task allocated without too much supervision.
            ================================================== =====================================

In other words, the ability to bend right over, touch your ankles and take it all to Leeds!

Comment

Originally posted by rca View Post
              Hey,
              I'm new to this forum but up until April, I was in a contract Scrum Master/Agile coach role. I didn't search for anything in May/June due to personal time off. And now nothing at all.
              There aren't that many roles and even the ones that are there you don't get any replies.
              I only got interviewed a permy but the company didn't proceed because of my contracting background and saying I don't have enough experience

On the Ltd company side, I'm still paying the insurance but now thinking of at least cancel the insurance.

There I'm all done
              Best option is Uber driver, as no perm jobs either

I don’t think Uber is taking on more drivers at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Can't believe what I'm reading, contractors actually thinking about becoming uber drivers, The market is worse than I thought

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                  Can't believe what I'm reading, contractors actually thinking about becoming uber drivers, The market is worse than I thought
                  The only reason people are thinking about becoming an Uber driver is because they haven't grasped how Uber works and how little money you are likely to make nowadays.

If you have a skillset work out how to bundle it up in ways that customers can understand what you do and sell it.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes I have spoken to a few uber drivers so not much money there.
                    It's the frustration which is creating issues here. First lockdown in April, May and June and now this.

I was told by my mentor John 2-3 years before that you play it really safe so you always try to find a job rather than opening your own business or consultancy. He was right all along, bless him for that.
                    The problem is how to go and get clients for a business? Especially with most businesses either closing or reducing the workforce.

Furlough scheme will come to an end and there is already news that some business will let people go so more people looking for work.

Comment

Slightly off topic but the take-home tests and subsequent presentations for applications are now really starting to take the p155.

They all say only spend an hour or two but they usually take a full day. I was chatting to one guy and he said he even reviews the commit messages in detail.

Then you pass the test and second interview is now a presentation. Again a full day to prepare, had one recently they contacted me after said I had done great but please be patient as HR is rubbish. 3 weeks later auto response from HR - Application rejected. Not even a thanks!

My currently role had 150 applicants. It was a presentation and 2 hour interview (online) - presentation based upon the job title so a total guess at what to pitch.

Loads of hipsters in IT now unfortunately, who think knowing obscure regex's is more important that social skills and a good work ethic. They set stupid tests to try prove their brilliance yet are unable to wash or dress properly and still live with their mum!

Thankfully I'm out of development now hopefully for good!

Comment

Working...
                      X