• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    I just can't stomach the whole "team bonding" stuff and falseness of it all . If I ever went perm it would have to be somewhere that would just leave me be. No idea how I get that across at an interview and still land the job
    One job before I was a contractor we used to have a weekly team meeting. Each person used to have to take a turn at coming up with an "icebreaker". You know the thing - tell everyone two truths and a lie about yourself - or some similar cr@p.
    It was at a time in my life when I was absolutely crippled with anxiety about anything & everything & it used to consume my life from one week to the next just thinking about it. I think more than once I phoned in sick just to avoid doing it.
    It was a shame because I liked the job & I wanted nothing more than to do just that.
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
      One job before I was a contractor we used to have a weekly team meeting. Each person used to have to take a turn at coming up with an "icebreaker". You know the thing - tell everyone two truths and a lie about yourself - or some similar cr@p.
      Just say

1. I really enjoy coming up with ice-breakers in team meetings
      2. I get really anxious about coming up with ice-breakers in team meetings
      3. When asked to come up with two truths and a lie, I always tell two lies

That'll confuse them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Just say

Saving that in case I ever need it!

Comment

Just say

That is genius...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Saving that in case I ever need it!
            And me!

Comment

Just say

Ice Breakers? Mmmmm... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ice-Break...-3-oz/38253402
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

My last contract had team meetings and and company wide activities for at least 30 hours a week. Literally. Monday morning meetings, then 2 different stand ups in a row, then a science fair, then a code review.....etc, etc. It was never fun for me, but the permies really loved each other and seemed to be having a blast.

Right before I left, they arranged a company wide trip to Barcelona which I thankfully could avoid since I'm a contractor. 3 days of "Fun". Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                  Right before I left, they arranged a company wide trip to Barcelona which I thankfully could avoid since I'm a contractor. 3 days of "Fun". Ugh.
                  Haha reminded me of this [emoji23]

YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Trust me, I don't miss living out of a suitcase. Thanks for your disbelief, but trust me, I'm very happy in my current job right now. It's a small consultancy with no HR department, which probably explains the glee.
                    The Last perm job I really enjoyed had a good job title, salary and benefits but what made it fun was the job content, autonomy and accountabilities. More recently, my contracts have been agile/scrum micro-management where I'm just another technical resource on a software production line dealing with bugs and stories the product owners bat my way. Most are pretty dull but tolerable.

Happy to keep going while the work is there are the rewards good.

Comment

Originally posted by pictavia View Post
                      The Last perm job I really enjoyed had a good job title, salary and benefits but what made it fun was the job content, autonomy and accountabilities. More recently, my contracts have been agile/scrum micro-management where I'm just another technical resource on a software production liine...
                      If you were being micro-managed, you weren’t doing scrum.

Comment

Working...
                      X