• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Big generalisation but I have to say that there is a bit of truth in this. Quite a few people I know who ended up working in academia are fairly weird/socially awkward individuals.

A lot of them completely lacked social skills and street smarts, which made it impossible for them to find a job after they graduated.
    Therefore, to avoid being unemployed, they embarked in post graduate degrees, PhD, and ended up staying in that environment for life.

I also know "normal" people who work in universities because they love academia, but they could find employment anywhere they wanted just as easily. I'd say in my experience it's a 50 50 split.
    When you mention lacking social skills and street smarts, are you sure you're not confusing academics with people who work in IT?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Welcome to the club. I have my own stapler and a corporate branded mouse mat. Lovin it.
      lol, lucky u

Comment

just received my last payment 2 weeks ago, I've got about 4 months warchest now, been on bench for 1 month already

Comment

2 months on the bench now. There's been a few green shoots, over the last few weeks but the outlook isn't good. For the last role I interviewed for, they went for someone who was willing to work £10k cheaper than the job was advertised for. Even though I had already cut my expectation by £15k. Some serious undercutting going on in the market.

The first question any agency is asking me these days is "What's your salary expectation?". It's become a race to the bottom, and I should think it will remain like this for a good few years.

May consider the nuclear option of looking overseas soon. Been approached for roles from Luxembourg, Dublin & Abu Dhabi but holding off for now.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
            ...May consider the nuclear option of looking overseas soon. Been approached for roles from Luxembourg, Dublin & Abu Dhabi but holding off for now.
            Rates in the UAE have fallen drastically too. Nearly by around 30%-50%. Roles that offered 38K-42K couple of years ago, are being advertised for 18K-24K now. Same skillset requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
              Rates in the UAE have fallen drastically too. Nearly by around 30%-50%. Roles that offered 38K-42K couple of years ago, are being advertised for 18K-24K now. Same skillset requirements.
              Yeah, I'm seeing the same. The one I got approached for was paying £60-70k with no pension, relocation allowance or accommodation help. Pre-covid the same role would have been paying around the £90-100k mark with some nice benefits. Although £70k would be good for the current climate, moving half way across the world for that is alot of faff. Who knows, I may change my tune in a month or two!

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                Yeah, I'm seeing the same. The one I got approached for was paying £60-70k with no pension, relocation allowance or accommodation help. Pre-covid the same role would have been paying around the £90-100k mark with some nice benefits. Although £70k would be good for the current climate, moving half way across the world for that is alot of faff. Who knows, I may change my tune in a month or two!
                British people get a much better rate than their Asian/African etc counterparts. To clarify, British in this context is not only just a British passport holder - you know what I mean. Since I have worked there 20 years ago, I would pack my bags if they offer 40K+ AED per month.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                  British people get a much better rate than their Asian/African etc counterparts. To clarify, British in this context is not only just a British passport holder - you know what I mean. Since I have worked there 20 years ago, I would pack my bags if they offer 40K+ AED per month.
                  UAE economy was already in a downfall pre-covid, so I wouldn't hold out much optimism on rates increasing over there anytime soon.

Comment

There are chancers...

" Applicants must be eligible to work in the specified location

Java 1.8 Developer

Java 1.8 Developer required for bug-fixing and identifying security holes.

Work from home with own device.
                    Industry
                    IT
                    Duration
                    3 months
                    Start Date
                    Immediate
                    Rate
                    £100 per Day "

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                      There are chancers...

" Applicants must be eligible to work in the specified location

Java 1.8 Developer

Java 1.8 Developer required for bug-fixing and identifying security holes.

Work from home with own device.
                      Industry
                      IT
                      Duration
                      3 months
                      Start Date
                      Immediate
                      Rate
                      £100 per Day "
                      Isn't that just one of those "post this ad so we can get an ICT" ones?

Comment

Working...
                      X