• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you get new contracts...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you get new contracts...?

Hi. I'm new here so please be gentle with me!

I'm pretty new to contracting. Have had just one client for almost 2 years. (PM role) They kept me on after the initial project was finished, as they were pleased with my work, and moved me on to another project, which finished end of April. I took a break for a couple of weeks, and starting looking for new contracts mid May. I've put my CV on the main employment type sites (Monster, CW Jobs and the like) Have registered with Jobserve, and been applying for roles which look suitable. (Probably around a dozen to date.) Have had next to no responses though. Is it really quiet out there, or am I approaching this the wrong way?

Someone told me never to chase agencies, as they will contact you if they think you are suitable to be put forward for a role. They said if you keep calling agents, they will get irritated and just put you to the bottom of the pile, as they are in business, so will only want to talk with you if there is a chance they will make money from you.

So my question is how do you experienced guys get your next contract? Do you register directly with specific agencies, or through these generic sites? Are some sites better than others? I have only applied for roles in which I meet the full criteria. Is it better to do a scatter gun approach, and apply for anything that looks remotely connected to your skill set? Do you call agencies to just see what they have, and if so, what response do you get?

I (perhaps naively) assumed I would get something new within a couple of months of my old post. I appreciate there is a lot of competition out there and companies are looking for PMs with multiple projects already under their belt; but everyone had to start at some point with little experience. I am beginning to get concerned that my saving pot will run out if something doesn't materialise in the next couple of months.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Newbe View Post
    Hi. I'm new here so please be gentle with me!

I'm pretty new to contracting. Have had just one client for almost 2 years. (PM role) They kept me on after the initial project was finished, as they were pleased with my work, and moved me on to another project, which finished end of April.
    You do know this isn't good and must be handled carefully don't you?

I took a break for a couple of weeks, and starting looking for new contracts mid May. I've put my CV on the main employment type sites (Monster, CW Jobs and the like)
    Remembering of course you are not looking for employment.

Have registered with Jobserve, and been applying for roles which look suitable. (Probably around a dozen to date.)
    Are you applying for roles that you are a perfect fit for and can bring value or are you applying for things you think you can do?
    Have had next to no responses though. Is it really quiet out there, or am I approaching this the wrong way?
    The market is pants but I suspect my previous comment will have a lot to do with it.
    Someone told me never to chase agencies, as they will contact you if they think you are suitable to be put forward for a role. They said if you keep calling agents, they will get irritated and just put you to the bottom of the pile, as they are in business, so will only want to talk with you if there is a chance they will make money from you.
    Generally this is correct.

So my question is how do you experienced guys get your next contract? Do you register directly with specific agencies, or through these generic sites? Are some sites better than others? I have only applied for roles in which I meet the full criteria. Is it better to do a scatter gun approach, and apply for anything that looks remotely connected to your skill set? Do you call agencies to just see what they have, and if so, what response do you get?
    Scatter gun approach wastes everyones time.

I (perhaps naively) assumed I would get something new within a couple of months of my old post. I appreciate there is a lot of competition out there and companies are looking for PMs with multiple projects already under their belt; but everyone had to start at some point with little experience. I am beginning to get concerned that my saving pot will run out if something doesn't materialise in the next couple of months.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    A couple of weeks to a month isn't unheard of. End to end gig's are a bonus not the standard so a bit of planning ahead while you are in a gig saves a lot of the worry once you are out. If your first gig wasn't so long you would possibly be a bit more prepared. Even the proper contractors start worrying a little when it comes to the end of long gig's. You get used to it if you do a number of 3 and 6 monthers.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

All I've ever done is go on Jobserve, although in the last couple of years I've uploaded my CV onto Jobsite and that has resulted in more calls and a contract most recently.
      I would use contacts, but in my experience of doing this (three times) it has resulted in two people acting as if I owed them a favour and the third feeling pressured to accept a lousy rate. I've been a contract BA for 10 years, so the landscape has changed over that time and I'd also appreciate any new insights anyone has to offer. Also, if it's through people you know, you don't really get so much choice as to the industry, location etc. But works great for others, I'm sure.
      Last edited by LadyPenelope; 30 June 2016, 09:56.

Comment

jobserve - 99% of the time.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

And it's only going to get worse as contracting becomes the defacto standard for resourcing so more people applying for the same roles. Unless you are niche or very experienced bench time is going to become more and more common. We are doomed I tell you.

Comment

[QUOTE=northernladuk;2278066]And it's only going to get worse as contracting becomes the defacto standard for resourcing so more people applying for the same roles. Unless you are niche or very experienced bench time is going to become more and more common. We are doomed I tell you.[/QUOTE]

It's not that bad!

Finally managed to track down a pic of you NLUK... Surely you should have retired to Mega City One by now?

Comment

Originally posted by Newbe View Post
              Is it really quiet out there, or am I approaching this the wrong way?
              Well the good news is there are quite a few PM roles out there at the moment. And less than a hundred thousand candidates, so I would guess you will get a role within the next few years. My last campaign took about 6 months and 130 applications.

I've done this over 20 times and whilst it is impossible not to search desperately for patterns, I never have found any.

I think it is a bit like rocking up at your local railway station wanting to go to a particular destination but you don't know the time or have a timetable.. How long it takes for a train to come will be very difficult to guess.

My only rule is it's a numbers game.

And desperately depressing.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

[QUOTE=SlipTheJab;2278069]
                Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                And it's only going to get worse as contracting becomes the defacto standard for resourcing so more people applying for the same roles. Unless you are niche or very experienced bench time is going to become more and more common. We are doomed I tell you.[/QUOTE]

It's not that bad!

Finally managed to track down a pic of you NLUK... Surely you should have retired to Mega City One by now?

Hope you aren't looking for coding gig's

Comment

1. Network both online and in person
                  2. Put your CV on job boards and refresh regularly
                  3. Apply for roles
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    And it's only going to get worse as contracting becomes the defacto standard for resourcing so more people applying for the same roles. Unless you are niche or very experienced bench time is going to become more and more common. We are doomed I tell you.
                    Guy I am in the new gig with showed me a graph from itjobswatch and there has been a 20% drop in both permy/contract jobs in my field (SQL DBA). I was wondering why nothing was happening, really thought my cv had stopped working but agents were telling him there's now more and more people applying for same job, after the first 10-20 CVs they stop looking at them.

Saying that I've also been asked for some project work direct with a new client direct so swings and roundabouts.

qh
                    Last edited by quackhandle; 30 June 2016, 11:02.
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X