• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question from newbe - the contracting life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    Utterly detest them. I raised it recently in a retrospective, how pointless I find them, having to justify my work to our BA-cum-PM. Don't think it went down well but I didn't give a tulip
    Hmmm, a really, arrogant, maverick then, who doesn't keep his skills up to date, you must be a real asset
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Utterly detest them. I raised it recently in a retrospective, how pointless I find them, having to justify my work to our BA-cum-PM. Don't think it went down well but I didn't give a tulip
      You got the whole process wrong. I suggest you read up on it. It will take you about 3 minutes after a couple of Googling.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You got the whole process wrong. I suggest you read up on it. It will take you about 3 minutes after a couple of Googling.
        I am well aware of the process and why stand-ups exist. It's when they're status meetings under the name of agile stand-up meetings that gets my goat. And it's my professional duty to highlight time and money-wasting bad practice to the client.

Comment

I am well aware of the process and why stand-ups exist. It's when they're status meetings under the name of agile stand-up meetings that gets my goat. And it's my professional duty to highlight time and money-wasting bad practice to the client.
          I see his/her/its consistent posting record is unblemished by these recent additions in the professional section of the forum.

Uninformed, ignorant and arrogant, added to the usual level of idiotic and downright ludicrous I'd say that's a full house, impressive.

You mention being professional, well keeping at least a weather eye on the current state of the toolset you profess to sell to clients as part of your contracting package (I don't believe for one second that you manage that incidentally) is not really optional. You're either full of something brown, sticky and reeking or a consummate bullcrap artist. Going from your posting history your bullcrap is terrible quality that no-one has ever believed so I believe it's the first.

Comment

Yeh, well, the place where I might suggest they start looking would likely to be a hell of a lot different to yours
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              I see his/her/its consistent posting record is unblemished by these recent additions in the professional section of the forum.

Uninformed, ignorant and arrogant, added to the usual level of idiotic and downright ludicrous I'd say that's a full house, impressive.

You mention being professional, well keeping at least a weather eye on the current state of the toolset you profess to sell to clients as part of your contracting package (I don't believe for one second that you manage that incidentally) is not really optional. You're either full of something brown, sticky and reeking or a consummate bullcrap artist. Going from your posting history your bullcrap is terrible quality that no-one has ever believed so I believe it's the first.
              Thank you for taking the time out of your Sunday to reply to my post.

Comment

Didn't realise you were an agile coach as well.

It would be wise to tell the client this so you can stop them wasting time and following poor practice in a stand up when it happens.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Didn't realise you were an agile coach as well.

It would be wise to tell the client this so you can stop them wasting time and following poor practice in a stand up when it happens.
                  I have told them, repeatedly. But as I have found out, the longer I contract, most companies only 'do agile' because they think they're supposed to - not because it can benefit them. I find they just do it to tick a box.

Comment

Originally posted by cntl1 View Post
                    I decided not to "re-qualify" in other stacks, stick with MS, and just do a radical move away from traditional .NET to .NET core stack, complement it with stuff like Angular 2 and see what happens.But then, if things don't work out on the contracting front, I'll likely play with my own "garage startup", since I ain't coming to the perm world again.
                    Contrary to most of the posters, I would be pretty positive about your chances, provided you interview well.

I've been contracting for nearly 20 years now in the midlands, with core skills inside the MS stack, but there does seem to be increasing demand for skills such as Javascript and associated frameworks alongside the .NET stack, especially if you want top rates.

What I would say is that whenever I speak to hiring managers, they all tell me how difficult it is to find good staff. Often it's not an issue with technical skills; it's attitude and personality fit.

Given you sound like you'd be flexible on rate and location, I'd say you'd have no problem. Lots of roles out there which employers are struggling to fill, often because the rate is well below market.

Only way to find out for sure is to try.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X