• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT consulting firms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fool View Post
    Why?

I train permies all the time. The fact is, if they couldn't learn it on their own, they're not going to sufficantly supplant me from the market but I can hand over the bau and leave when the building of things has stopped.
    I guess you must be contracting in Process area, rather than technical. When you accept a contract for e.g. as a Scrum Master, you are expected to help/train the team to follow/adopt Agile practices, however if you are contracting as a Developer / Tester / Designer do you train them? In the second context you are there to do the job, not to provide training. What is stopping the client to employ a trainer?

If you obtain the services of a Builder, would you expect him to teach or train you?

Comment

Originally posted by itjobs View Post
      I guess you must be contracting in Process area, rather than technical. When you accept a contract for e.g. as a Scrum Master, you are expected to help/train the team to follow/adopt Agile practices, however if you are contracting as a Developer / Tester / Designer do you train them? In the second context you are there to do the job, not to provide training. What is stopping the client to employ a trainer?

If you obtain the services of a Builder, would you expect him to teach or train you?
      I'm a developer and a sysadmin. I've worked on projects both alone and as part of a team, but either way I'm happy to explain why I do things the way I do and why you shouldn't do it that way. Being able to defend and explain your work is part of being an expert, if you can't explain why you do something, then you should really think about that.

That said, there is different types of training though. Doing a review on a PR is different than a non-technical guy sitting next to me and asking what "ls" is.

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I use the water hose method ... Just swamp them with info, keep the level of info at expert level, keep it strong. Also make the pupils write a schedule and tell you what they need training on. Quite amusing. My last place I was handing over a product that ran on Linux, one of the pupils didn't know what yum was. I could have trained him for six years and it wouldn't have made any difference.

The fact is they will never read your notes, they will forget everything you ever told them with a couple of weeks. You are leaving you have no status in their tiny minds.
      Yeah, as I said. If they're not bright enough to learn it on their own, they'll not be able to really do much with a handover. However, any work that can't be handed over sufficantly will disparage your reputation, if you care about that, you really don't want you being obtuse to be the reason the hand over failed. Can't do much if they're just useless though.
      Last edited by fool; 1 October 2016, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
        Yeah, as I said. If they're not bright enough to learn it on their own, they'll not be able to really do much with a handover. However, any work that can't be handed over sufficantly will disparage your reputation, if you care about that, you really don't want you being obtuse to be the reason the hand over failed. Can't do much if they're just useless though...
        Handing over is quite different from training. Handing over is essential for BAU and a professional ethic for us contractors but training is not. There is a distinction here. But I agree with handing over part. I do this all the time

I use the water hose method ... Just swamp them with info, keep the level of info at expert level, keep it strong. Also make the pupils write a schedule and tell you what they need training on. Quite amusing. My last place I was handing over a product that ran on Linux, one of the pupils didn't know what yum was. I could have trained him for six years and it wouldn't have made any difference.

The fact is they will never read your notes, they will forget everything you ever told them with a couple of weeks. You are leaving you have no status in their tiny minds.
        I like this approach. Tried couple of times and occasionally received a schedule "We need to know everything..."

Comment

I guess you must be contracting in Process area, rather than technical. When you accept a contract for e.g. as a Scrum Master, you are expected to help/train the team to follow/adopt Agile practices, however if you are contracting as a Developer / Tester / Designer do you train them? In the second context you are there to do the job, not to provide training.
          If you are contracted as a Scrum Master, you need to apply in your team, if your team has only a certification or awareness you just need to make them understand the workflow and put in practice. This a simple methodology and I don't see this as an issue or consider a training.

What is stopping the client to employ a trainer?

None, the Consulting firms pay all the certifications for the permies and not all the certifications in the market are useful. If you know the basic best practices (and can be their own) you realize that majority of the methodologies are the same crap and you don't need to waste your money.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            The niche consultancies tend to use the same contractors repeatedly to cope with 'overflow'. Of course they would prefer to use their own consultants, but they'll never refuse work if those consultants are all assigned.
            In the international firms, they will get the consultants on the bench from another country, if they don't find on the bench they will hire an external, they are called sub conctractors. If you are a good contractor without a mind set of consultant hater you can have a long term contract.

In this case my advice is to be hired directly by the Consuling firm for obvious reasons.

Comment

The way to approach that one is to tell them they need to book a set of meetings and they must propose an agenda for each one. Even if they can't do the agenda, you have a fixed number of hours to do the handover in. Also get them to write the handover document as you go along.
              The Handover Document it's crucial for an handover and is done by the contractor , unfortunately very rare, without the notion that the contractor will be "burn".

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                The niche consultancies tend to use the same contractors repeatedly to cope with 'overflow'. Of course they would prefer to use their own consultants, but they'll never refuse work if those consultants are all assigned.
                Quite. And they would often prefer to hire people on permanent contracts if they could, as that makes it easier for them to plan ahead and create a stronger brand attachment, but since so many of the people they really need prefer to contract, they have very little choice.

Comment

Working...
                X