• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nothing to do but client wants to keep me.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing to do but client wants to keep me.

Hi, I've been in my current contract for about a year. It runs out 31 Dec, and they've already said they would like to renew me to June 17. The rate is good.

Thing is I don't have much work to do at all. There were some big chunky deliverables which I've dully delivered. The client seems to MASSIVELY overestimate how long tasks will take. The project is still running, so all I really need to do is tweak those things that I've already delivered e.g. keeping documentation up to date. Add in time spent in meetings and I'm probably up to 15-20% utilised. I can't see that changing much between now and June.

The client didn't really know what they wanted when they took me on, and so quite a few of the chunky deliverables I mention are things that I suggested, they have all been well received and really move the project forward. However, because the project has now progressed, I can't see anything else that I can suggest that would add value. So I'm going to be sitting twiddling my thumbs between now and June just so that some documentation can be maintained.

Problem is that the client prefers folks to be in the one main, open plan office. I can't let the permies see that I'm surfing the web or studying something new on client time or else it would cause resentment I'm sure and upset the client's employees. I'm bored out of my skull. I spend my days flicking between screens, making unnecessary spreadsheets and re-reading emails.

I can't tell if:

a) the client knows I am free 85% of the time, but just needs someone to do this small amount of work (the 15%)
    b) the client has no idea that I'm so quiet and doesn't realise that they probably could get by without me.

I'm thinking I can either:
    1) leave and say nothing
    2) bring up the down time with the client, but that risks being asked to do the crappest of the crap, and potentially getting asked to do tasks that would make me look like a perm in disguise
    3) should I level with the client and ask is it the case that they just need me to do that 15% and couldn't give a toss what I do the rest? I'm more than happy to take 2 hour lunches, 'work' from home more often etc. but be present and willing when tasks do come up. I have no idea if the client knows that this is what the score is but just wants to keep me 'in case' something crops up.

It is a reaonabley well paid gig, so I'd only want to jump ship for something on a comparable rate. It wouldn't be impossible to find another job on this rate, but I'd be surprised if I found one the first week of looking if you see what I mean. It's just so mind-numbing.

If anyone has any advice I'll happily listen Thanking you in advance!

It happened to me once. It was a government contract, security cleared, and they didn't want to let us go in case they needed us. Fortunately, the permies were suffering the same. We got really good at the Times crossword.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Leave and find something you can get your teeth in to. I've been stuck in a dull gig, started affecting me out of work so gave up and it was the best thing I've done in a long time. I got in to new challenges, got back in to the contractor mindset, got my CV moving the right way. Bit of time on the bench, next rate a few percent less? Peanuts. I contracted for flexibility and the challenge, not to due in awful gig's.

If you are a decent contractor you'll get something soon and it's not like we earn a pitance. Sitting there and being miserable is not being a contractor.

IMO you can either lay it out to the client who is likely to appreciate it and either pull their fingers out and give you work or allow you to leave when you've got something... Or you can just wait and invoke notice. The first option will gain you a very good contact and could lay dividends when they ask you back in the future.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 8 November 2016, 21:08.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks.

I've had a similar situation in my last contract and I'm not sure if perhaps it is something I'm doing or perhaps something in the water around here

With the last place tho, I found out after I was in that they had to fill the contract and keep it filled otherwise their budget was getting cut. There was nothing to do, and they knew that, but just wanted a bum on a seat.

Now that (after a year) this one is going the same way I'm now thinking maybe everywhere is the same and I'm going to run into the same problem elsewhere.

Comment

Well in 8 odd years if contracting I've not seen clients keeping contractors due to losing budget. I've seen lazy clients that don't manage their continents properly though. If you do run in to it again you've been incredibly unlucky.

I'd be checking your IR35 status in places like you are in D&C and part and parcel are probably a pretty big issue for you.

Others will be along with their opinions shortly though I am sure.

Comment

Why not do some training and learn new skills?

NLUK informs me accountancy is in high demand

Comment

I would love to, but as I say it the client has everyone in one office and it's not that big, so everyone can see what I'm doing. If I were to do that I'd give it a week and I'd be out the door as the perms (who are v v busy with other stuff) would get pretty narked off quickly.

Comment

The client is probably very aware.
                The client also probably doesn't want you to make a song and dance about it either. As they want the bums on seats for whatever reason, and their boss might well not know about it.

My advice would be to quietly let one of the senior people who most likely knows anyway, that you have a bit of 'spare bandwidth'. If nothing changes then you have done your bit. It's up to you whether you continue to ride the gravy train or leave.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Be careful with your wording. Spare bandwidth indicates you want something else to do which is not good.

Comment

I'm almost in a similar situation. With a consultancy at the end clients site. I've got some stuff to keep me ticking over, but even stretching this out and making tweaks and improvements over and above the required changes, I'm twiddling my thumbs.

There's a big piece of work coming that's not signed off yet though, so once that is, it should see me though to new year, then I'll probably look for something else.

Comment

Working...
                    X