• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time in Lieu or payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muralijv View Post
    Hi

I have worked for a client for 18months and had been terminated in NOVEMBER 2016.

There was no contractual agreement for overtime or oncall in my contract. Due to managers request and to maintain my professional approach, I have accepted, worked and accumulated 28 days worth of overtime or oncall during that period. My manager offered me time in lieu. So I have booked my leaves during the christmas period of DECEMBER 2016.

I had a verbal agreement with my manager and there is no written confirmation. Subsequently the manager left in the month of AUGUST 2016 and confirmed the same to the replacement manager in an email mentioning about my overtime and time off.

Since my contract has been terminated , I have requested to pay for the over time and on call services since I could not avail my time off. Now the company has declined to make the payment for the overtime or oncall , mentioning there is no such agreement.

Can I take a legal approach. or have I lost my time and money. your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    MJ
    I'd say your only chance is to get in contact with the old manager and hope he fights your corner

Contractually you've got nothing

Comment

Hi

I have worked for a client for 18months and had been terminated in NOVEMBER 2016.

There was no contractual agreement for overtime or oncall in my contract. Due to managers request and to maintain my professional approach, I have accepted, worked and accumulated 28 days worth of overtime or oncall during that period. My manager offered me time in lieu. So I have booked my leaves during the christmas period of DECEMBER 2016.

I had a verbal agreement with my manager and there is no written confirmation. Subsequently the manager left in the month of AUGUST 2016 and confirmed the same to the replacement manager in an email mentioning about my overtime and time off.

Since my contract has been terminated , I have requested to pay for the over time and on call services since I could not avail my time off. Now the company has declined to make the payment for the overtime or oncall , mentioning there is no such agreement.

Can I take a legal approach. or have I lost my time and money. your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
      MJ
      I don't think this is a "professional" approach at all. You're a supplier to them, I don't see how it's professional at work without pay and without a legal agreement in place to cover you. If you hired a builder to do some work, what do you think he would say if you asked him to work at a weekend and said he could take the time off in 6 months time?

Comment

You've got no chance, chalk it up to life lesson and concentrate on getting your next role. And next time don't fall for the bull of 'we'll see you alright' get it in writing, your a supplier not a employee.

Comment

You also need to read up on IR35. Not only will you never get what you are after but you've got to have put yourself inside with D&C so at risk of losing quite a bit of what you've already earned.....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In more than one contract I have been asked by project/programme managers to do weekend work (project transitions, go-lives et al) as time in lieu.
            I simply tell them that there is no contractual mention of TOIL so they'll pay me the contracted day rate as that is the only mechanism I have to bill them.

I've never had any more discussions after that.

TOIL could also imply being inside IR35 but I prefer not to use tax as a reason for not doing something as that p*ss*s off permies.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              In more than one contract I have been asked by project/programme managers to do weekend work (project transitions, go-lives et al) as time in lieu.
              I simply tell them that there is no contractual mention of TOIL so they'll pay me the contracted day rate as that is the only mechanism I have to bill them.

I've never had any more discussions after that.

TOIL could also imply being inside IR35 but I prefer not to use tax as a reason for not doing something as that p*ss*s off permies.
              Toil, feck that!!!

I had one place where we agreed 1.5 times the rate as nothing specified in the contract.

As they didn't have the payment mechanisms for that, they actually had to pay double rate.

Would still always rather have my weekends though, life's too short.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Not a fan of TOIL (forget the IR35 status of it) - I'm working overtime because the project needs it. What's the point of me working the Saturday then being off on Monday when I should be fixing what the permies broke on the Sunday.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Some of my guys are working long hours at the moment, including weekends. I offer them TOIL or payment .... they all take payment on their next invoice. Don't blame them as I'd do the same I make sure they put the charge in the very next invoice so there is no argument from client.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Thanks for the consolation guys . The mistake I did is , I have trusted my manager, he turned out to be a ****.
                    A costly lesson learnt. everything should be written , documented and approved.

Comment

Thanks for the consolation guys . The mistake I did is , I have trusted my manager, he turned out to be a ****.
                      A costly lesson learnt. everything should be written , documented and approved.
                      And read up on IR35.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X