• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changes in Flat Rate Tax Scheme 1/4/17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Training is services not goods.

The VAT man has a fraud department so I wouldn't try it.
    A CD is not a service:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Software/...CD+objective-c

and I genuinely don't understand how this is fraud? I would use this in my business and I'd rather have some benefit then turn the money over to the tax-man.

Comment

Originally posted by MeMeMe1966 View Post
      A CD is not a service:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Software/...CD+objective-c

and I genuinely don't understand how this is fraud? I would use this in my business and I'd rather have some benefit then turn the money over to the tax-man.
      So to save £4K you plan to pay £3.2k a year on software (and it has to be a physical package not a download), so you save £800?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        So to save £4K you plan to pay £3.2k a year on software (and it has to be a physical package not a download), so you save £800?

I thought this was suppose to be the professional forums not General.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

Well if I'm going to be 4K out of pocket then why wouldn't I spend it on something I may use rather than give it away? The 800 isn't really part of my motivation.

I don't understand why this isn't the default position, am I missing some technicality that would prevent this?

Comment

You sure the training is allowable? Adding new software skills is a bit of a grey area.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well if I'm going to be 4K out of pocket then why wouldn't I spend it on something I may use rather than give it away? The 800 isn't really part of my motivation.

I don't understand why this isn't the default position, am I missing some technicality that would prevent this?
              Exactly. If you are offered £4000 worth of free stuff why wouldn't you take it?

I'd even do it without the advantage that the nasty public sector simultaneously lose £4000.

The accountants can work out the details of whether we have to buy software, silver bars or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You sure the training is allowable? Adding new software skills is a bit of a grey area.
                Training for engagements in hand is what is allowable as far as I'm aware.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Training for engagements in hand is what is allowable as far as I'm aware.
                  So DOS progammers weren't allowed to re-train in windows for their next gig?

oops I meant getting tax relief on new technology training unrelated to your current engagement but related to your business.
                  Last edited by MeMeMe1966; 2 March 2017, 09:43.

Comment

So DOS progammers weren't allowed to re-train in windows for their next gig?
                    Did they have the Windows gig "in hand"?
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The whole retraining thing does baffle me as to whether it's allowed or not as in I.T. roles evolve all the time, like in testing there has been a shift to Developers in Test and now this is partially evolving in to DevOps a certain degree of training/retraining is needed but as to what is allowed it's beyond me.
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X